is new faster ?

chesters1

is new faster? saw the adverts windows 7 is "faster" than xp is it? is xp faster than win 98?

sitting here with my new 10 year old laptop it sits groaning with xp but after a play its like a snail compared to win 98.

why? its a sham its not faster your machine has to be to support it :D

with win 98se this croc is blisteringly fast and its 1 gig and 256mb ideal (probably high spec for the time) its awe inspiring .

then you install a bloated with utils you hardly use operating system and everything slows down (like bloody firefox i keep complaining about ) your once fast pc is like a lame dog ,you look at the minimum requirements and decide your pc is old and slow(it is now).

does this new "fast" software do anything the last one couldn't? probably not you could get on line with windows 3.11 (ok it wasnt easy to use ) and you could print on a spectrum 16k if you wanted to (got online with a 128k spectrum so pre bloody windows!)

so what are you comparing "fast" to ?

this machine with its groaning and complaining XP will be speeded up reinstalling 98 once my usb to network dongle arrives i had to put xp back on because my hub cannot use usb only ethernet (missing on this machine) or wireless (no 98 drivers for the dongle i'm using.) had it ethernet netscape 6 is still around and mail is around so not much else needed to get online (still got a copy of lotus that even works under xp around!

then i can play settlers and the mass of old enjoyable games that have fits being used on the supposedly superior XP.

my main machine though will have to have XP you would have fun trying to find windows 98 drivers for a sli graphics card mobo with all the bells and whistles but if you could what a blistering machine you would have. :o

example installing win98se and all its updates less than an hour ,installing xp and all its updates well over a day ,the end result is still a basic machine to get online (once me connector arrives touch wood) and i can print stuff.

amazing this machine is using 54% of 256 mb ram doing nothing but displaying this page and metering the ram.

what really needs power is games they force the need for faster pc's ,you can run browsers on little ram the same for word processing ,perhaps a case for windows "lite" a cheap version with the bells and whistles removed for normal people?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Get Linux - have the best of both worlds. You can get a reasonably up to date OS that is not anything near the resource hog Windows or a MAC OS are.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

yes linux looks ok but does it need a "soft" windows to do anything bar basics ,can my games run ,can anything run that doesnt have linux mentioned in the minimum requirements?

linux must be lean and mean if its doing nothing but running

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I use ubuntu which is very good and very fast, there's a windows emulator in it as standard (WINE) which runs most, but not all windows stuff.

hmmm big download? can you dual boot with it ?

Edited by chesters1

just downloading an iso now but havnt a clue how big the file is ,cheers must be big it says i have an hours downloading left :o

can it dual boot? otherwise i wont bother

Edited by chesters1

Yes is the short answer but UBUNTU needs installing first.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

bugger ,stopping the download it slows my pc to a crawl anyway 256mb of memory is a little old school for xp

i tried dual booting 98 and xp ,all i managed to do is bugger up 98 but xp has its own folder :D:rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

try using the crank handle on the side !!

it will fly after that:)

xp is fine after a fresh install but becomes increasingly slower as you put dx9 in and other needed stuff(avg,winzip,dx9,ect etc)

im using avast antivirus now as it is a mere bit faster at boot than avg(by about 4%)nothing much though really.

il weed down more non essetials soon and try and speed it up more but apart from a fresh install im flogging a dead horse..

and my system is overclocked:(

atleast your pc doesnt sound like a small aircraft when fired up!!

ive even brought earplugs :lol::D

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg