Another rod restoration project

Mark Wintle

I've got two Normark rods in otherwise good condition - original Avenger and Quiver No. 2 - that both have sliding reel fittings that are a pain. Knowing that some on here are experienced in such projects I need some advice. I'd like to replace the top 4-5" of cork handle with the match rod screw fittings as found on much later Normark rods which is where a Duplon bit screws down onto the reel. I've found the fittings in Hopkins and Holloway website. I can measure the blank diameter above the handle circa 14mm (using Vernier gauge) in both cases. I think that to do the job I need to remove rings from bottom joint plus top of handle then fit using Araldite. Not sure what size fittings though largest size will fit as they seem to be about 17mm.

Any tips or previous experience?

Mark that was one of the most common jobs I got asked to do! I actually did a "Tackle Workshop" article for FM on the exact job.Its no longer on the site but I have a copy on CD trouble is I cant open it! It was created on a PC long gone with a programme I cant remember.I need to get a few CD's like this sorted out so will take them to PC World tomorrow to see what they can do.I could then send you it or post it on here.If I get no luck with the CD's I will write out a quick piece for you. Its not a difficult job but I can give you all the little dodges etc to make a perfect job..

As for the reel seat as long as the diameter is bigger than the blank its not a problem.Pipe reel seats are always best mounted on "rings" of tape rather than directly to the blank and the exact thickness of the tape will allow for any difference.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

On the normark rods i've seen the blank doesn't go all through the cork but the blank is pushed into it and glued. So it's a case of freeing the blank from the cork and pulling the blank out of it.

Thats the way the rods fitted with the fuji seats are put together. It will save taking off any eyes etc.

Edited by Tigger

Budgie,

That would be very useful. I'm in no hurry and would rather proceed with caution than wreck two otherwise good rods. I destroyed the screw fitting on my Normark Titan 2000 because I don't like the narrowness of screw fittings. That was before I figured out how to create a cork bulge on top of the screw fitting which makes them very comfortable. I presume the tape gives a little between the blank and the fitting.

Tigger,

I get the gist of what you are saying. Does this mean if I strip off the cork at the top of the handle there is a joint between the handle and the rest of the blank that would separate?

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Mark

Tigger,

I get the gist of what you are saying. Does this mean if I strip off the cork at the top of the handle there is a joint between the handle and the rest of the blank that would separate?

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Mark

I'm not sure how the full cork handles are fitted on the normarks, whether the blanks go all the way through the cork like many other rods or not. I do know a friend who's rod (team normark titan 2000)became loose and he was able to pull his bottom section straight out of the fuji reel seat and to sort it it was a case of just glueing it back in place. I have two team normark microlites and if I unscrew the duplon on the fuji seat and push it up the blank you can clearly see the glue where the blank has been pushed into the reel seat and glued.

I'm no rod builder and have no experience of replacing handles but on the team normarks the blank deffo only goes into the handle a few inches, maybe the older ones with the full cork handles are different, you'll have to inspect it.

Edited by Tigger

I'm no rod builder and have no experience of replacing handles but on the team normarks the blank deffo only goes into the handle a few inches, maybe the older ones with the full cork handles are different, you'll have to inspect it.

That sounds a bit dodgy! I always assumed that the handle was part of the rod itself, not an additional part.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I've got two Normark rods in otherwise good condition - original Avenger and Quiver No. 2 - that both have sliding reel fittings that are a pain. Knowing that some on here are experienced in such projects I need some advice. I'd like to replace the top 4-5" of cork handle with the match rod screw fittings as found on much later Normark rods which is where a Duplon bit screws down onto the reel. I've found the fittings in Hopkins and Holloway website. I can measure the blank diameter above the handle circa 14mm (using Vernier gauge) in both cases. I think that to do the job I need to remove rings from bottom joint plus top of handle then fit using Araldite. Not sure what size fittings though largest size will fit as they seem to be about 17mm.

Any tips or previous experience?

My advice would be to strip off the entire handle and replace with a cork handle like this

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=196

That way you can mix and match cork and duplon, get the right length handle and make it look good.

My choice would be

Fuji match handle with duplon screw down fitting

Two length (10") of cork

Finish with flared end Duplon

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=175

and a nice but cap.

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=249

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Mark,

I've just put a Fuji screw down reel seat on an old DAM qickstick to make it more usable with a centrepin.

I also wanted to add another ring to the butt section and move the handle down the rod closer to the butt end as I don't like having a load of unused rod sticking out past the end of my elbow when playing fish.

I started by measuring exactly where I wanted the reel to sit then cut back the cork handle to the point where the new reel seat would sit. I then measured the diameter of butt at this point and ordered the right size reel seat from Hopkins and Holloway - it arrived the next day which was a bonus.

Being an older rod, the DAM had a butt section diameter of 17mm, so a size 17 DPS-HPS reel seat was a perfect fit. I think the smallest diameter Fuji seats are 16mm, so you may well need to pack out the butt section using rings of masking tape until the new seat is a close fit.

Remove the existing rings from the butt section and clean off any old glue or varnish. Mask up the remaining cork handle and the new reel seat well and glue the new reel seat on with plenty of epoxy glue (araldite)

Mask the screw down part of the reel seat and glue the EVA foam cover onto the screw down part of the reel seat, also with epoxy glue, and tape the edge tightly with electricians tape to make sure you get a smooth finish once the glue has dried.

Once the glue has hardened make sure you you screw the reel mount onto the reel seat BEFORE you whip the rings back on - it won't go on afterwards!

post-2408-1274187954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wag

Where's the 'ANY' key?

• 4 weeks later...

I eventually got around to ordering a reel fitting in 17mm. When I stripped the handle (the Normark Quiver No. 2) I found that the blank fitted into another piece of carbon as previously mention. This carbon was over 17mm but a lot of hard work and I got it to fit. Re-ringed the bottom section. A couple of coats of varnish and some glue for the duplon, and it should be ready for next week. Total cost £8 plus 2 hours effort and now the reels won't fall off.