Find Fishing App for IPhone - Comments?

FindFishingApp

Having had a quick look, I don't think the functionality will be your issue - it's simple to use and looks pretty. Getting all the data included will be the hard bit.

I found no charter boats within 30-miles of me, yet live less than 10 miles from a few. It may be worth you seeing if you can do something with one of the mags, such as Boat Fishing Monthly, who may have access to such data. I'll point their editor towards this thread.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Elton,

Agreed. The radius will change in the next update to no longer reflect "unlimited" as this is too heavy on a low signal - 3G is fine but bringing back over 1000 entries (and growing!) on anything lower is slower. Therefore to answer your question - we will change the miles to better reflect all fishing methods i.e. Sea charters.

Any help in getting this publicized in the fishing community is a great help!

Having had a quick look, I don't think the functionality will be your issue - it's simple to use and looks pretty. Getting all the data included will be the hard bit.

I found no charter boats within 30-miles of me, yet live less than 10 miles from a few. It may be worth you seeing if you can do something with one of the mags, such as Boat Fishing Monthly, who may have access to such data. I'll point their editor towards this thread.

Me too, I just downloaded it and am having a play around with it.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just to give you a heads up, we are releasing an update to the App in the next day or so that has some little features:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/find-fishing/id372352004?mt=8

- Tackle shops are now available to search

- You can now take photo comments and add them to your favorite venues to help others.

- Add Venue has been fixed.

Any other features would you like? We can try add these.

Thank you for your support.

• 3 weeks later...

We are now working on version 1.6 code with iOS 4 crystal clear graphics and the addition of other search abilities. It will also go worldwide from the next version.

I found this thread after searching for iphone apps on the forum and was very interested. I do download quite a few apps at 59p without taking much notice of the reviews, I believe that the ratings can be falsified anyway.

I just clicked on the link to download this app and it is now £2.99..... :o

Unfortunately I will not take a punt at £2.99 and so will have to wait until it has considerably more reviews. It would be great to have some feedback from any forum users who are using this app, this may sway me sooner.

My only concern is that this price will now put off a lot of potential anglers from downloading this app and as one of the features is user feedback and ratings of fishing spots surely this feature will not reach its potential.

This is only my opinion and I do hope this app delivers, I look forward to any comments.

Cheers

Jay

I think this app would be very handy to have and would defo pay maybe £1.50 or suchlike providing I had an iPhone! :huh:

I like the idea of an app like this as it would be really good for finding area's that you generally do not know about. But... Google is becoming pretty advanced these days and it is pretty quick/easy to find area's local to you. Would it not pay maybe to release this app as a website??? You pay £1 Paypal to use the website in which you can enter your postcode for an up to date map of all local areas including tackle shops ect: and also reviews/stock levels on all the waters listed.

Instead of charging users.... Maybe a fishery owner can pay you guys to be a featured fishery??? He pays you say £50 a fortnight and they come up as ''Hot places to fish this summer'' or something???

Keep the app idea!

Maybe integrate an internet version for PC's/Laptops also?? I would use it then! The iPhone limits you to only Apple users, and not saying Anglers are all old! I am 22, but a lot of travelling anglers are ones who are retired... Kids have left home... Young anglers have Work/Kids ect: And therefore would not travel so much and would stick to local areas which they would probably already know.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

As larsagi says an internet or pc usable version would be great. It would be an idea to make it compatible with the browsers on mobiles too. Such as smartphones that are not iphones and also other s60 devices such as the nokia n95 8gb running software such as opera mobile etc.

Also the idea of having the fishery owner and tackle shops charged instead of the users would be a good idea as more people would be willing to pay for it. If you included ads from some of these companies that would also increase your revenue.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Also the idea of having the fishery owner and tackle shops charged instead of the users would be a good idea as more people would be willing to pay for it. If you included ads from some of these companies that would also increase your revenue.

My thoughts would be to make the app cheaper to attract more anglers and then recoup the revenue from fisheries, tackle shops and maybe advertising from manufacturers.

By maximising the potential to rate venues and comment on how they are fishing could make the app invaluable to people who may already know where their local venues are and are not interested in where the nearest venue/shop is if out of town.

I just feel that all the above is dependent on large numbers of users and unless the price is right I can’t see this app reaching its potential.

Cheers

Jay

Well I took a punt and bought it, at £2.99 its not going to break the bank, I've wasted far more on much less in the past :)

So far it looks and works OK, a couple of small points, at least for me, there doesn't seem to many venues, especially around Norfolk, whereas in real terms there are.

Also I'd like to see the option rather than add extra venues in your own phone, but have it all to upload these to the server for others to download, lets face it not many non anglers will be buying this software and as such i'd guess over 99% of possible uploaded venues will be genuine. If this was possible then the number and info would increase at a massive rate and allow us all to find those unknown to us venues.

So far so good, now lets see this software step forward and improve

Starting today for 2 days they have reduced it to 59p so I have just downloaded it.

I checked coarse fishing and tackle shops within a 10 mile radius of my home, I live about 3 miles from the Trent including several Nott’s AA waters as well as several tackle shops. Unfortunately it only came up with 1 canal and 1 tackle shop, which has actually closed down....... <_<

I totally agree with shooter in that it would be great if user’s data was uploaded for everyone to share.

I guess it is early days, but unless this app gets the updates it requires its usefulness will be very limited in my opinion.

Cheers

Jay