big fish

biggacod

Just a very short question and slightly off topic but i'm a little naive.

Why do you catch and release conger , is it because they are endangered or simply too big and dangerous to lift over the guard rail? I really don't have a clue but i have heard some of the older end in our club say that conger is lovely to eat so i would guess that it would be catch and keep , so to speak or is there something else?

Right , back on track and sorry for the brief intervention.

Carl

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus wept!

With our fishing 'apparently' decimated, whether North, South ,East, or West, shouldn't we be arguing over who catches the smallest and the least?

The fishing if phooked, and the charter industry only operates at weekends, can't you get it through your thick heads!

:D

Edited by Sharkbyte

Just a very short question and slightly off topic but i'm a little naive.

Why do you catch and release conger , is it because they are endangered or simply too big and dangerous to lift over the guard rail? I really don't have a clue but i have heard some of the older end in our club say that conger is lovely to eat so i would guess that it would be catch and keep , so to speak or is there something else?

Your not naive, just that you have never been given the chance. Conger are very good at making fishcakes for example, chuck in a few herbs, sorted, but as far as i'm concerned there is only soooo many you can eat at anyone time. Yummy grub. So yes i would take a strap home now and again. If it's fish steaks that you want the middle cut is the best, less boney. Errrrrrrrrrrr no conger are certainly not dangerous, especially if it's got a 10/0 stuck in it's gob, ling have just as sharp teeth. It's better for the eel, knowing it's gonna be released to 't' bar it before you bring it aboard causing injury to it, just a way of offering up some conservation. Let defra and the a t know as they might suggest a bag limit. It's the sport of fishing for them thats the fun, think about half a dozen coming up at any one time, the skipper has got his hands full, just releasing them at the rail, let alone assisting some poor knackered angler or six to drag it aboard for a foto, with 2lb weights flying around, preservation of the knackered skipper is what the 't' bar is about. :D

regards sad barry

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Barry. I showed an 'experienced boat angler' how to correctly use a T bar recently. Later he belied his fresh water origins by asking where the 'disgorger' was :lol:

Sad Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Hi Barry. I showed an 'experienced boat angler' how to correctly use a T bar recently. Later he belied his fresh water origins by asking where the 'disgorger' was :lol:

Sad Alan

Yes i have heard that one aboard a few times.

See an 'experianced' angler use a 't' bar on a pennel rig, to try and get a dog fish off his hook, tis true. He ended up with a 10/0 right through his thumb, the skippers rusty pliers wasn't enough to get it out, so we had to curtail our trip, and go back to port, skipper lost his wages that day, we lost our fishing, just because the man was a plonker.

Just knew he was experianced as he had loads of fishy bages sewn on his camo hat and jacket.

really sad that day.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Your not naive, just that you have never been given the chance. Conger are very good at making fishcakes for example, chuck in a few herbs, sorted, but as far as i'm concerned there is only soooo many you can eat at anyone time. Yummy grub. So yes i would take a strap home now and again. If it's fish steaks that you want the middle cut is the best, less boney. Errrrrrrrrrrr no conger are certainly not dangerous, especially if it's got a 10/0 stuck in it's gob, ling have just as sharp teeth. It's better for the eel, knowing it's gonna be released to 't' bar it before you bring it aboard causing injury to it, just a way of offering up some conservation. Let defra and the a t know as they might suggest a bag limit. It's the sport of fishing for them thats the fun, think about half a dozen coming up at any one time, the skipper has got his hands full, just releasing them at the rail, let alone assisting some poor knackered angler or six to drag it aboard for a foto, with 2lb weights flying around, preservation of the knackered skipper is what the 't' bar is about. :D

regards sad barry

Cheers for that insight Barry , it has shed some light on the fish and fishing of them for me.

Carl

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

One little suggestion from a numpty but if you are going Conger fishing treat you’re self to some of the round hooks 8/0 or larger. With them you will get a better catch rate and almost always lip hook the fish which makes release that much easier and it’s less damaging to the fish. Also if the fish has swallowed the bait the fight will normally allow the bait to be pulled back out and catch the lip as apposed to an open hook digging into the throat causing an untimely end to the fish you think has dived back safely. I also always de barb the hooks with pliers before use again causing even less damage to the fish when released. ;)

West Cornwall Conger Casserole

2lb Conger eel filets

Fresh Chopped Parsley

1 Small Onion (finely chopped)

A pint of milk

2lb of Potatoes (pealed and sliced)

1 Teaspoon of Lemon Juice

A pint of Fish stock

Salt and Pepper

Remove the ell skin wash and dry then cut into finger size strips. Place in to a casserole dish along with the chopped onion then cover with the potato slices, add salt and pepper and sprinkle a tablespoon full of the chopped parsley over the top. Add the milk , lemon juice and fish stock.

Bring to the boil and simmer for twenty minutes making sure the eel is tender and that the potato is cooked

Serve with a garnish of the remaining chopped parsley

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Yes i have heard that one aboard a few times.

See an 'experianced' angler use a 't' bar on a pennel rig, to try and get a dog fish off his hook, tis true. He ended up with a 10/0 right through his thumb, the skippers rusty pliers wasn't enough to get it out, so we had to curtail our trip, and go back to port, skipper lost his wages that day, we lost our fishing, just because the man was a plonker.

Just knew he was experianced as he had loads of fishy bages sewn on his camo hat and jacket.

really sad that day.

:lol: I got a 6/0 in my finger once, right to the bone, cut the eye off, taped the shank to my finger, carried on fishing and had the hook removed in hospiial 8 hours later, the alternative was a 14 stone skipper kneeling on my chest with a pair of rusty pliers, not even offered a tot of rum. :lol:

:lol: I got a 6/0 in my finger once, right to the bone, cut the eye off, taped the shank to my finger, carried on fishing and had the hook removed in hospiial 8 hours later, the alternative was a 14 stone skipper kneeling on my chest with a pair of rusty pliers, not even offered a tot of rum. :lol:

Guess who's finger this is:

IMG_0052.jpg

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Bet that hurt Norm yet another good reason to use circle hooks me thinks. :o

By the way many thanks for sorting the picture out Barry old mate, nice one.

You’ll be pleased to know that my mates have just got back from Whitby. They had loads of Cod all fewer than ten, but they did stay close to shore.

Julian reckons that so few boats up there have an anchor, so he is not surprised if some don’t know how to use them and he aggress that there must be Congers as the wrecks further out were producing better size Cod Ling and Pollack.

He also said do you fancy a run up next year to have a crack at there festival and we go spend a day checking out the Congers. Need a good skipper though, one what can anchor up? :rolleyes:

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg