poor line lay

One of the reels I am spooling is giving me a poor line lay with less at the top and more at the bottom.

Was wondering if there is any way to improve this, be it with using electrical tape on the top of spool so the line builds up on that or another simple way?

would be great help because even though I'm sure it is fishable with, I'd prefer a better line lay so it doesn't affect casting because I am fishing a big water with it soon.

One of the reels I am spooling is giving me a poor line lay with less at the top and more at the bottom.

I'm no expert on distance casting, but that sounds good to me.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Sometimes I have really cursed the way line lays and then found it is nothing more than me trying to spool it using the butt section of a rod with the new line in a bucket of water as often recommended, However once I cast the line the spool fills properly on the retrieve. If possible I would take the reel and a rod to a field and release the line and try to re spool it under a bit of tension by holding the line in a damp cloth between your thumb and finger. no promises this will work but sometimes does

Sometimes I have really cursed the way line lays and then found it is nothing more than me trying to spool it using the butt section of a rod with the new line in a bucket of water as often recommended, However once I cast the line the spool fills properly on the retrieve. If possible I would take the reel and a rod to a field and release the line and try to re spool it under a bit of tension by holding the line in a damp cloth between your thumb and finger. no promises this will work but sometimes does

I put a bar in the middle of the new line drum and get the wife to hold it putting some pressure on it as I wind it on never have any problem after that and she's been doing it for me (keep your mind out of the gutter...hehehe) putting pressure on the new line drum for over 36 years, maybe I should think about getting one of those new Russian models...hehehe

And I load quite a lot of spools during the closed river season

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Budgie asked "what reel?" I would ask the same, as some reels have shims in front and behind the spool. Shifting these about can alter the line lay..............advice is usually in the instruction book.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Budgie asked "what reel?" I would ask the same, as some reels have shims in front and behind the spool. Shifting these about can alter the line lay..............advice is usually in the instruction book.

Den

Exactly my reason for asking Den.Shimano reels are the prime example of this. Also Shimano make several spools that"fit" on to any one particular reel but dont load properly if they are not the exact one.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!