Best sub £100 barbel rod

Christy

I'm not sure if the 1.5 test is rated up to 12lb or not but it doesn't matter if it is or not. I've used 12lb with my 1.25 test rods. The line ratings are just a general guide you can use whatever you like. Don't forget 12lb nash bullet for example only snaps at 18 1/2lb so not quite 12lb breaking strain really. You know how much pressure to put on your rod so you just don't overdo it, that's what your clutch is for.

Really? I've got a Drennan feeder rod that 'recommends' using mainlines of 5-8lb but surely if I used say 10lb Daiwa Sensor and the blank broke I would have voided the warranty?

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Wychwoods - are we talking about the Rogues? I see they also have a Maximiser twin-tip with two x 1.75 + 2lb tip sections. Looks nice.

Anyone know if it's just a Rogue with an extra tip or a completely different rod?

Different rod

The rouge and rage rods start the barbel rang off but I can't remember which is the entry one, theres the maximiser rod and then theres the rapier

Mine are 1.75 lb rods and a superb bit of kit and when I bought them both the rouge and rage were available and you could get mine in 1.5, 1.75 and 2lb but again I can't remember what the range was called

I suspect that the Maximiser range is the same rod that I have as it was avaiable in all the ranges and you could also buy a two top outfit as well but in 2lb tc

The rapier was and still is available so thats why I think mine are maximisers, nice slim blanks with tons of power and a nice through action without any flat spots

Wish I still had the rod tags as its only a couple of weeks or so since I had a tidy out and binned them

5 mins later

Just had a look at the blanks and mine are labeled Specimen Barbel

The tip ring that weirwulf had in his photo on the other thread is not a fuji sic. it looks nothing like one.

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=603

In the catalogue it just says SIC (silicone carbide)

Definitely not Fuji

This looks more like it

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=173

Note the price difference and remember, they are buying in bulk, 5p each?

The more normal (and cheaper) aluminium oxide ring have a hardness of 1200-1400 vickers. These are what are on almost all rods and are plenty hard enough for all normal useage.

The SIC rings have a hardness of 2200 - 2400 vickers and should never show signs of wear regardless of line or silt in the water.

That's the problem with cheap chinese rods.

I know it doesn't say cheap chinese rod on the label but that's what they are.

Wow a very interesting and technical post. I am always amazed at the amount of hidden knowledge and talent and that is why most forums are so worthwhile. I must admit that the Fuji tip ring I eventually got to replace my grooved one had a different shaped framework to the one I removed. I also seem to remember that Fuji stamped their name on all rings and there is no evidence of that on the rings of my Greys rod. As for cheap chinese rods well of course the Greys product is part of that group of products despite the high price tag but the blank at least performs quite well. Presumably the design is from experts even if they don't keep control over manufacture or couldn't care less about what they have sold you

The tip ring that weirwulf had in his photo on the other thread is not a fuji sic. it looks nothing like one.

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=603

In the catalogue it just says SIC (silicone carbide)

Definitely not Fuji

This looks more like it

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=173

Note the price difference and remember, they are buying in bulk, 5p each?

The more normal (and cheaper) aluminium oxide ring have a hardness of 1200-1400 vickers. These are what are on almost all rods and are plenty hard enough for all normal useage.

The SIC rings have a hardness of 2200 - 2400 vickers and should never show signs of wear regardless of line or silt in the water.

That's the problem with cheap chinese rods.

I know it doesn't say cheap chinese rod on the label but that's what they are.

Wow a very interesting and technical post. I am always amazed at the amount of hidden knowledge and talent and that is why most forums are so worthwhile. I must admit that the Fuji tip ring I eventually got to replace my grooved one had a different shaped framework to the one I removed. I also seem to remember that Fuji stamped their name on all rings and there is no evidence of that on the rings of my Greys rod. As for cheap chinese rods well of course the Greys product is part of that group of products despite the high price tag but the blank at least performs quite well. Presumably the design is from experts even if they don't keep control over manufacture or couldn't care less about what they have sold you

Thank you for all of your suggestions guys, however I think I will just stick with my Drennan Method Feeder rod as, with 8lb Daiwa Sensor, it should prove sufficient for the size of fish I am catching at the moment. ;)

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero