The fundamentals of centrepin fishing

tiddlertamer

a ratchet makes a bold statemant they let every other angler within hearing distance know your using a centrepin ,and that your superier too them ,that or your some plonker who doesn't know how too switch it off :P

another use is when fishing the lift method ,the ratchet can be used too set the float ,at the desired cocked level ,one click at a time .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

What other uses does the centrepin ratchet have?

Is it something that is used when using the reel to leger? Do anglers just simply enjoy the sound of the ratchet when fishing line is being taken by a fish?

What exactly are its uses?

Spend a day roaming and trotting without using the ratchet TT and it's uses will become very apparent.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

a ratchet makes a bold statemant they let every other angler within hearing distance know your using a centrepin ,and that your superier too them ,that or your some plonker who doesn't know how too switch it off :P

another use is when fishing the lift method ,the ratchet can be used too set the float ,at the desired cocked level ,one click at a time .

I seem to remember Bob James using the ratchet while barbel fishing on the Avon in the autumn edition of the wonderful Passion for Angling.

Was it purely for the camera (or sound boom :) ) or was it an essential part of his legering set-up?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Guest bbamboo

I have an Adcock Stanton with No ratchet never ledger with it but when float fishing you learn to work around it.

Not really a problem

Gary

My tips are-

Buy as free running a pin as you can get.

Don't get bogged down with worrying about how long it spins for worry more about how little it needs to start it turning.

Don't worry about casting! You brought it for improved presentation when float fishing on running water not long range casting work!

Try floating braid on it.

Keep it clean.

Forget line guards and just accept that the line sometimes wraps around the reel foot. But always check for this!

Forget all the "mastering the art" rubbish they make CORRECTLY trotting a float a far easier job than with any other type of reel.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Match the speed of the bait to the current at that depth.

(Which is somewhat slower than the speed at the surface where the float sits).

Getting that just right is the hard part!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust