The fundamentals of centrepin fishing

tiddlertamer

Centrepin fishing is a fun and effective way of catching fish.

It can also be difficult to master for beginners. And no doubt, even the canniest of veterans might have experienced the odd problem along the way, with this type of reel.

What tips can you give which might help newbies, or even experienced veterans, improve their centrepin fishing.

On both the float or leger.

For what it's worth, I'll attempt an opener...

When threading the line through the rings of a rod, or if you hook, land and net a fish; engage the ratchet. Otherwise, tangledoom awaits. :rolleyes:

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

When threading the line through the rod rings of a rod, or if you hook, land and net a fish; engage the ratchet.

Very true - and that is why my Avon Royal Supreme remains my favourite reel - because, if you are holding the rod right-handed and your hand is spanning the reel-seat, it only requires a nudge of the check lever with the middle finger of the right hand (takes less than a tenth of a second)

BTW if I hook a fish that needs the net, the check goes on straight away - so it is already in place when the net is used.

Almost all other centrepins have a less convenient check-lever placing. Some you can't even reach with the rod hand. Of course, a judicious finger or thumb (depending upon how you hold the rod) on the reel drum acts as a drag, and avoids "tangledom" - but what is the point of having a check if it is out of reach?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

no1 tip :learn too accept tangles ,embrace them,they're not the end of the world ,they will happen even if very infrequently

no2 tip :theres no need too rush

no 3 tip :the thumb is king ,no matter how gracefull or accurate you cast ,if you have a dumb thumb ,it'll all end in a mess ,a good thumb can rescue a poorly exicuted or ugly cast .

no 4 tip :the wallis cast isn't the only cast ,but its probably the only one worth taking time learning

no 5 tip :don't try too cast further than you need too ,distance will come with practice

no 6 tip : when learning ,use a heavier float than you think you'll need

no 7 tip :the length of time a reel spins for ,has little too do how well a reel casts

no 8 tip :quality will out ,expensive doesn't allways = quality

no 9 tip :casting really isn't hard ,it mearly looks hard too learn at first because its something new .

no 10 tip : learning to cast ,you can teach yourself ,but its better if you have someone take you through it

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

A stiff breeze can both help and hinder a trotting session. If it’s in your face you probably won’t be able to trot much further out than the rod tip whilst staying in contact with the float. Keep the rod low to minimise the amount of line in the air.

Conversely if it’s at your back (and preferably a little upstream) it’s possible to trot a far bank line. Keep the rod high so the line is in the air, the breeze will catch it and push the float away from you. Once in the correct position lower the rod so less line is being blown. With a bit of juggling of the rod and holding back you can consistently trot a far bank line and stay in direct contact with the float.

Totally agree with others about the wallis cast. I used to think it was a Mr Crabtree style thing but now I believe it’s the quickest and most efficient way to cast with a centrepin. It is also immensely satisfying to pull off a biggie if you manage it without spending the next ten minutes in tangledom (that’s a great word TT)

Finally a long rod will help all of the above.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It doesn't matter how good the reel is if the oil used on the pin is rubbish. Make sure you use a good quality light oil, like Penn multiplier oil, that isn't effected by wet or cold.

Also, just spend a couple of minutes cleaning any grit out of the reel after a session its better than doing it after you have set up and stood in the middle of a river. Dropping the spool and watching it roll into the depths is never good especially if after pulling 60meters of line to get it back you find the line was not tied on properly!

Guest bbamboo

Run the float through the swim at different speeds from holding back hard to completely the opposite and just letting it go.

It surprising what a difference it makes.

Very true - and that is why my Avon Royal Supreme remains my favourite reel - because, if you are holding the rod right-handed and your hand is spanning the reel-seat, it only requires a nudge of the check lever with the middle finger of the right hand (takes less than a tenth of a second)

BTW if I hook a fish that needs the net, the check goes on straight away - so it is already in place when the net is used.

Almost all other centrepins have a less convenient check-lever placing. Some you can't even reach with the rod hand. Of course, a judicious finger or thumb (depending upon how you hold the rod) on the reel drum acts as a drag, and avoids "tangledom" - but what is the point of having a check if it is out of reach?

What other uses does the centrepin ratchet have?

Is it something that is used when using the reel to leger? Do anglers just simply enjoy the sound of the ratchet when fishing line is being taken by a fish?

What exactly are its uses?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I'ts a great bite alarm !!!!!!!!!!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan