Monster Gudgeon

minandmotion

Hi Guys new to the forum :D

I caught a Gudgeon the other day and took a pic on my hand when I got home I looked on the web and on Wikipedia it says that the record is 5oz and that 12cm or 3oz is a big one (Does that mean 12cm is a 3oz one??). When I measured my hand where the fish sat it is just over 16cm long and 2cm deep, I've caught 2 others around the same size, next time I am going to take the kitchen scales lol

I am I looking at a potential record??

The assertion that a 12cm gudgeon weighs 3oz is plainly false. Your 16cm gudgeon weighs about an ounce.

Simple maths tells you that with fish of more or less the same density as water ie 1cc weighs 1 gram so a 2cm cylinder of water that is 16 cm long weighs about 50 grams (16 (length) x 1 (radius) x 1 (radius) x pi (3.14)) which is less than 2 ounces, but of course a gudgeon is taped at both ends so you can safely halve the 2oz figure.

A year or two back someone reported a 20cm (8") gudgeon as weighing 10oz but the maths quickly disproved it!

The assertion that a 12cm gudgeon weighs 3oz is plainly false. Your 16cm gudgeon weighs about an ounce.

Simple maths tells you that with fish of more or less the same density as water ie 1cc weighs 1 gram so a 2cm cylinder of water that is 16 cm long weighs about 50 grams (16 (length) x 1 (radius) x 1 (radius) x pi (3.14)) which is less than 2 ounces, but of course a gudgeon is taped at both ends so you can safely halve the 2oz figure.

A year or two back someone reported a 20cm (8") gudgeon as weighing 10oz but the maths quickly disproved it!

Will weigh next one and let you know...

I think a scale is probably the best way.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think a scale is probably the best way.

I've caught a gudgeon of 8" (203mm), and weighed on match scales, it came in at 4oz. The record at the time was 4oz 4drs.

There was a time when the gudgeon from a stretch of the RWharfe, were averaging about 5-6 to the pound, they're long gone now though.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Guys new to the forum :D

I caught a Gudgeon the other day and took a pic on my hand when I got home I looked on the web and on Wikipedia it says that the record is 5oz and that 12cm or 3oz is a big one (Does that mean 12cm is a 3oz one??). When I measured my hand where the fish sat it is just over 16cm long and 2cm deep, I've caught 2 others around the same size, next time I am going to take the kitchen scales lol

I am I looking at a potential record??

I would guess from looking it was at least 2.5oz is it easy to add a pic on here cos I took one??

I caught a gudgeon of 4 1/2 ounces when I first started fishing...this was from the Leeds and Liverpool Canal near to Gargrave.

I'd only been fishing for a few short weeks, and I was at that stage when I simply had to weigh everything. We were on a camping trip, and I sneaked my calibrated kitchen scales into the packing! I'm sure I was the only angler on the bank with a nice frosted glass ensemble...very Delia Smith....!

I didn't have a clue what I'd caught until I got home and did a bit of research...I thought it was yet another tiddler...I'd never heard of a gudgeon before, let alone caught one!

Sadly, I haven't caught another approaching that weight since, although I keep trying!

Janet

I am sure that I remember Dick Walker and Fred Taylor telling me - many years ago - of a gudgeon they had seen in Redmire that was estimated at around a pound in weight. I am sure that they wouldn't have been too far out in any estimate they may have made, and they would have known the difference between a gudgeon and a barbel.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.