WOULD YOU BELIVE IT A BLOODY CONGER

big_cod

Topic's warming up nicely. :)

The divers will be accused of having boggall eyes next. Let me guess, slow drift over the wreck with bait, rod starts banging away, then up comes nothing, snapped off by a conger, na, not in a million years. Anchoring the wrecks over a full tide, na, it'll never work. Wreck fishing for ling and conger two or three boats lenghts away while at anchor, over a full tide, na, that can never happen. could it. :lol::blink:

1 divers often get mistaken with ling and conger. :thumbs:

2.Who said anything about drifting we are talking about being stationary wind agaist tide and ALL depending just how big the tide is AND the depth of water PLUS the skill of the skipper will know just where to position his boat whether he want his lines to go 30yds in front of the wreck lines to the front of the wreck lines midships or lines to the rear of the wreck or lines 50yds past it with the boat stationary you can put the lines where ever you want them to go IF you know what you are doing and how far uptide you need to be it doesnt take a lot of working out if the lines arent inthe wreck or does it or if you havent got a clue what you are talking about. :g:

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 divers often get mistaken with ling and conger. :thumbs:

2.Who said anything about drifting we are talking about being stationary wind agaist tide and ALL depending just how big the tide is AND the depth of water PLUS the skill of the skipper will know just where to position his boat whether he want his lines to go 30yds in front of the wreck lines to the front of the wreck lines midships or lines to the rear of the wreck or lines 50yds past it with the boat stationary you can put the lines where ever you want them to go IF you know what you are doing and how far uptide you need to be it doesnt take a lot of working out if the lines arent inthe wreck or does it or if you havent got a clue what you are talking about. :g:

paul.

Paul like Barry I have been Conger bashing on many occasions and the best results are always with a good run of tide into the wreck the secret is to anchor up tide so that the baited hook can be trotted back towards the wreck but not in to it.. Some big baits to start with so as to get a scent trail into the wreck and once the smaller guys show up send down a decent flapper and the results will be amazing. :fishing:

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Paul like Barry I have been Conger bashing on many occasions and the best results are always with a good run of tide into the wreck the secret is to anchor up tide so that the baited hook can be trotted back towards the wreck but not in to it.. Some big baits to start with so as to get a scent trail into the wreck and once the smaller guys show up send down a decent flapper and the results will be amazing. :fishing:

Deeno we do all that big flappers in front of the wreck the only difference we dont ankhor but wind against tide is more or less the exact same thing talking to one of the local divers who works at the local boatyard brian who has dived these wrecks of whitby for over 30years what i would call a very experinced diver he was diveing a couple in 50mtrs of water last week he said loads of fish around them isaid any congers he just laughed and said why do you keep asking me that he recons he has only seen 4 or 5 in the last 30 years except on the reefs in shallow water near the shore where the water is warmer cathcing a conger here of whitby is like trying to catch a haddock out of lymington its all down to water temperature you have less chance now than a couple of years ago with the cold last 2 winters we did have a massive pipefish explosion here dureing the mild winters upon till 2 years agao they havent been seen this year at all and this summer there has been a big explosion of red jellys the stingers the cold winter must have given the right conditions dureing spring which would have brought them on again they werent seen hardly at all dureing the mild winters congers dont like cold water that is why they are in abundance on the south coast, wales and up and around the west coast of scotland but there is one fish we have here which the south has in abunace pollock we fished for them on sunday it was as many as you wanted on firetails.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

Paul

While I hate to tell a top skipper like your self to suck eggs, from my small experience of the last few forty years, I would have to say holding a boat in the tide using the wind would suggest only a small tide flow into the wreck if any. You will need to stick the pin in having worked out predicted tide movement and wind factor so as to have your anglers bait infront of the wreck with the tide taking the scent of the bait into the wreck at laest 1.5 knots.

Cold water is not the problem as the biggest Congers are from Icelandic waters. The species are very shy so a diver would only find them if they were looking for them.

Tell you what and I have said this before and the challenge remains, we (my good pal Barry L and a few others would like to do a three/five day stint in your festival next year 2011) and the challenge is for just ONE DAY you fish a wreck as we require and if we catch Congers we get a free day if we fail we pay for the day. What have you to loose if we are right you will have learnt some thing which you can then offer to your anglers as an alternative to drifting for tiny Cod, should we fail you can take the P I double S for ever and a day.

:rolleyes:

Paul

While I hate to tell a top skipper like your self to suck eggs, from my small experience of the last few forty years, I would have to say holding a boat in the tide using the wind would suggest only a small tide flow into the wreck if any. You will need to stick the pin in having worked out predicted tide movement and wind factor so as to have your anglers bait infront of the wreck with the tide taking the scent of the bait into the wreck at laest 1.5 knots.

Cold water is not the problem as the biggest Congers are from Icelandic waters. The species are very shy so a diver would only find them if they were looking for them.

Tell you what and I have said this before and the challenge remains, we (my good pal Barry L and a few others would like to do a three/five day stint in your festival next year 2011) and the challenge is for just ONE DAY you fish a wreck as we require and if we catch Congers we get a free day if we fail we pay for the day. What have you to loose if we are right you will have learnt some thing which you can then offer to your anglers as an alternative to drifting for tiny Cod, should we fail you can take the P I double S for ever and a day.

:rolleyes:

Don't forget to Include big ling as well, you can get them on the anchor. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• 2 weeks later...
Bid Cod PAUL where are you. Gone real quiet up north hope it weren’t something I said? :P

So you guys are up for the challenge sounds like you southern boys are confident lets say if you dont catch a conger with the pin down you pay for your trip and keep me in beer for the night sounds like a fair bet to me but if you do then you are allmost sure to be £5000 richer and the last 2 summer comps the lads who have won the big lolly with me they have looked after there skipper very well.:victory:

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

So you guys are up for the challenge sounds like you southern boys are confident lets say if you dont catch a conger with the pin down you pay for your trip and keep me in beer for the night sounds like a fair bet to me but if you do then you are allmost sure to be £5000 richer and the last 2 summer comps the lads who have won the big lolly with me they have looked after there skipper very well.:victory:

paul.

Yep that sounds good I will get the crew sorted and get in touch re deposit or what ever!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Yep that sounds good I will get the crew sorted and get in touch re deposit or what ever!!! :D

'ere ya go Bob, just want a small to med tide and shall we bring our own anchor? :whistling: Summer or autumn, don't matter to me. :D

Right folks here's the long awaited festival dates for next year. We will be holding an Uptiding festival next winter but the dates will be posted in due course.

Uptiding Festival 2010 - 4th - 12th December

Spring Festival 2011 - 2nd - 17th April

Summer Festival 2011 - 18th June - 10th July

Autumn Festival 2011 - 10th - 25th September

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..