Using bread effectively

davedave

I would like to try and use bread more as a bait when ledgering for bigger fish, i get a bit paranoid about my bait being on the hook so what would be a good way to keep it on the hook for longer? Any advice would be useful

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I would like to try and use bread more as a bait when ledgering for bigger fish, i get a bit paranoid about my bait being on the hook so what would be a good way to keep it on the hook for longer? Any advice would be useful

When I use bread I would put it on a hair rig like a boilie, you can use a punch or just roll it into a tight ball and free-line it.

I find the best way to make bread stay on the hook for longer (whether it's crust or flake) is to put it (slice by slice) in the microwave for 10 seconds on the highest setting. I always used to insist on Warburtons Soft White Farmhouse for bait, which seemed stickier than most other brands, but since I've been microwaving it I find any old "2 loaves for £1.70" stuff just as good.

If you're using unsliced, unwrapped bread, then as long as it's as fresh as possible (i.e. less than 24 hours old), both crust and flake should stay on the hook well, given a light pinch between thumb and forefinger and hooked once through.

Very fresh white bread, match hook size to the size of bait you want (don't be afraid of using big hooks), pinch it on hard and leave the edges fluffy, and use sensitive bite indication so you know if it's being nibbled away by little fish.

Bread that's even a little bit stale will just keep falling off, and the same thing will happen if you use a big bit of bread on a small hook.

PS crust floats, so if you want a bait on the bottom, use flake.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If using crust, then I just tear a piece off and hook it from the white side, out through the crust, and back in again. Remember crust is buoyant and adjust your terminal gear to suit.

I always keep a bag of crusts handy, I cut the crusts into bait sized pieces, and slowly dry them out. They will keep ages like this. When needed, just hook as above, dunk in the water to rehydrate, and away you go.

Breadflake is just pinched on the shank of the hook, and left fluffy around the point.

Always match your hookbait to the size of your hook, (or visa versa), or you will see it fly across the water on casting.

John.

Cross posted with Anderoo.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Always match your hookbait to the size of your hook, (or visa versa), or you will see it fly across the water on casting.

I was having a great time watching a lad doing that the other day. Pretty much every 2nd or third cast saw his piece of bread disintegrate mid flight. Its a wonder some people dont click on and just give it a little pinch. :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I was having a great time watching a lad doing that the other day. Pretty much every 2nd or third cast saw his piece of bread disintegrate mid flight. Its a wonder some people dont click on and just give it a little pinch. :D

So if pinched on, with the right size hook, how long will it stay on the hook for? Half an hour??

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

So if pinched on, with the right size hook, how long will it stay on the hook for? Half an hour??

Hours and hours! I use bread a lot when fishing for chub in the winter, and I will happily leave a bait out for hours at a time if I'm sure nothing has nibbled it away. It's a different story when trotting, I find you need a new hookbait for each trot.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music