Hook tiers

Lopz

hi,

I have tried using a matchman and a drennan hook tier but eithier the finished knot slips down the hook shank or when rotating the hook tier the trapped line slips down the hook shank. Also the instructions say to point the tier at the reel line but how do i do this when i am holding the tier with one hand and the tail end with the other. If i have to keep the reel line taut how do i do this. Can anybody please help?

Lopz

I use a Matchman.When tying hook to traceline I put the spool between my knees, keeping the line taught, I do not cut the hook length off till the hook is tied.

To tie to reel line, tighten the drag, put rod

in rest, or support over whatever is handy. You then have two hands free.

Practice makes perfect with these tiers, dont forget to wet the knot either.

Good luck.

Adrian

It depends on line strength, hook size & shank length, but personally never less than 4 but normally 6 or 7. And a dab of superglue as well, just to make sure!

I would guess most people do around 6 - that's what most books recommend.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Phone, you can't spell :D:D

I think it should be tyer......tire.......tiyer....I give up!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have tried and tried and tried to use my Matchman but have failed miserably. Even with 4-6lb line and large hooks (eg. size 10) I cannot tie the knot. I know how it's supposed to work, but I have had so many problems I'm sticking with hooks-to-nylon.

Problems have included:

a) The hook moving in the "vice" - I just can't seem to tighten it enough.

B) The line going all crinkly when I pull the knot tight (yes I wet the line - this happens a lot when using high-tec line).

c) The knot unravelling over the spade as soon as I pull tight.

d) The line snapping as soon as I pull tight (I reckon the line is rubbing against the spade when tieing).

I've not used the Drennan, but I cannot see how you can use this gadget without three or four hands. I'm sure practice does make perfect, but life is too short, and that is why eyed hooks were invented...

spindle:

Problems have included:

a) The hook moving in the "vice" - I just can't seem to tighten it enough.

B) The line going all crinkly when I pull the knot tight (yes I wet the line - this happens a lot when using high-tec line).

c) The knot unravelling over the spade as soon as I pull tight.

d) The line snapping as soon as I pull tight (I reckon the line is rubbing against the spade when tieing).

I've not used the Drennan, but I cannot see how you can use this gadget without three or four hands. I'm sure practice does make perfect, but life is too short, and that is why eyed hooks were invented...

I use the Drennan one for all my hooklengths, and yes I still encounter the odd problem like yours.

a) If you put a small rubber band over the nut, you might be able to tighten it harder.

B) I use hi-tech line for almost all my hook lengths, and often encounter the same problem. After I've tied the loop at the other end I put the hook over a hard-back book cover and then hang a 2oz weight from it. After a couple of days the crinkles largely disappear.

c) I sometimes have that problem, caused I think by the line not being held tight enough when forming the loops. Keep the loose end of line nice and tight throughout, and make sure that each loop nestles up to the previous one and doesn't go over it.

d) I would suspect sharp edges on the spade end if it happens more than once. Solution? Throw away the hook....

As you say though, practice makes perfect. I've never used the Matchman tyer, but I suspect they are pretty similar, so I hope I've been able to help :)

[ 12 April 2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.