5 1/4" to disc ?

Chris Goddard

I just got given a set of disks (CAD) on 51/4" disk!! Anyone able to put that on a CD for me please??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 2 weeks later...

your problem would be to get it to run on anything more modern than the 51/4 toting machine they were designed to run on.

i cant help my floppy floppy drive was ousted in the 80's but a search on the web may get you a download of something not so old ,what prog is it ?

i had the latest version of board maker on 3.5 and a couple of years ago i mistakenly put it in my floppy drive ,i'm sure i could hear someone laughing very quietly in my machine as windows XP said what the fooks this crap and went sulky :D now i dont even have a floppy drive.

ofcourse if you have a 386 with win 3.11 hiding somewhere would it know what a CD was :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ofcourse if you have a 386 with win 3.11 hiding somewhere would it know what a CD was :D
It sure would, as long as you had MSCDEX (MicroSoft CD EXtensions) set up in your config.sys and autyoexec.bat Win 3.11 works fine with CDs.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

blimey yes that takes me back :D

still got my 3.11 discs somewhere !those heady days :D big jump from 3.1 it started working

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...
blimey yes that takes me back :D

still got my 3.11 discs somewhere !those heady days :D big jump from 3.1 it started working

Don't you remember Windows 2 then chesters, or even worse Windows 286? Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Don't you remember Windows 2 then chesters, or even worse Windows 286?
my first pukka pc was an old IBM XT bought in 1984 then rejected by my old boss until he gave it to me in about 1986 (must have cost a packet!) ,had hours of fun playing with an expansion board to get the memory up to running a poor game! on a green screen

the mobo was upgraded to a AT when i joined the UNI and the slippery slope started ,i cant remember which windows we installed but upgraded to win3 then win for work groups definitely after doubling the power by installing a 16?mHz crystal (may have been an 8 MHZ) but little else you could do then and getting a flash 8 colour monitor.

any PC's then were far above humble gardeners wages a 16k speccy was the nearest i could get and eat!

it didnt get used much until i joined the uni typically being used to decode radio and slow scan TV signals via my scanner ,ever since its been upgraded to what i have today i'v never had the money to buy new ,ofcourse none of its the original beast anymore even chesters1 occasionally has a splurge but my full tower case is about 12 years old no need to buy a new one they dont wear out if you can still stuff the bits in

Edited by chesters1

Yeah I remember them too. Green screen, text only and you only had a hard disk if you could afford a second mortgage for a 5MB Seagate with the old Shugart type interface. Happy Days indeed!

i found the old 300MB uni's main server hard drive in the skip ,very old then but a hefty bit of storage i had to buy a scuzzi board to run it but cheaper by far than a new ATA drive,the drive cost 3 grand new and i bet they thought they could never fill it! :D

i had a lot of storage i had a stack of external drives in the end (the big dual boxes) and a big leccy bill now i'm always about 3 years behind (english 3 years not japan 3 years) waiting for the costs of upgrading to get low

Edited by chesters1

What a bargain! And that was for a re-conditioned unit.

look_back_full.jpg

Edited by corydoras

OH those heady days :D once even fools couldnt program a PC it all went down hill ,once floppies weren't floppy it was gone for ever.