Cheese

davedave

Has anybody used cheese succesfully as a big fish bait, if so what type of cheese and how did you hook it? Any general advice really please

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Cheesepaste is my new favourite bait. I get a pack of that jusrol shortcrust pastry, 150g of stilton and 150g of mature cheddar, grate the cheese onto rolled out pastry, gather up the pastry edges and knead until smooth. If you need to stiffen it (for hot weather or long casting), just dust with flour and knead some more until it reaches the desired consistency.

I use a #6 with a biro spring slipped over the shank. Works a treat.

Haven't got round to experimenting further as yet.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

there is so much about cheese paste on here look at the bottom of the thread or use the search engine at the top

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

chessey pepperami was the best carp bait of all time in the late 90s. if you can find some to buy il snap your hand off for it. also caught on cheese strings and lumps of chedder

Cheesepaste is my new favourite bait. I get a pack of that jusrol shortcrust pastry, 150g of stilton and 150g of mature cheddar, grate the cheese onto rolled out pastry, gather up the pastry edges and knead until smooth. If you need to stiffen it (for hot weather or long casting), just dust with flour and knead some more until it reaches the desired consistency.

I use a #6 with a biro spring slipped over the shank. Works a treat.

Haven't got round to experimenting further as yet.

Renrag

I use almost exactly the same...the smelliest cheese about - but I also add a few drops of garlic juice and n-butyric acid with it.

I knew someone who memorably used the expression 'Smellier than Satan's arse!'

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

chessey pepperami was the best carp bait of all time in the late 90s. if you can find some to buy il snap your hand off for it. also caught on cheese strings and lumps of chedder

With cheese strings how do you hook them?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

With cheese strings how do you hook them?

Not tried that one perhaps a hair rig?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Perhaps banded also? Personally i think i would put it on the shank of the hook and leave the point out.

What cheese works best, i was thinking of cubing it and maybe ledgering it? Any tips