Bait droppers

lozza

I have a couple of problems with bait droppers. These little bits of kit are probably the most helpful piece of end tackle that I have however my problem with them is that the options available to me are either too big or small and they cost me ten quid a pop and as I lost three in one session two too snags one to a very confused pike, so I was wondering if any body knows how to make them? I was thinking about an adapted tuna can any ideas/help.

I have a couple of problems with bait droppers. These little bits of kit are probably the most helpful piece of end tackle that I have however my problem with them is that the options available to me are either too big or small and they cost me ten quid a pop and as I lost three in one session two too snags one to a very confused pike, so I was wondering if any body knows how to make them? I was thinking about an adapted tuna can any ideas/help.

I would imagine that you could do it this way

> Take an open tuna can. Remove the lid but save for later.

> Get a metal rod and put it throught the can and then attach a weight to the bottom of it. So that it drops onto the bottom that end first, pushing the rod up to release the front part.

> Hook the rod over at the top so that it can be used to hold the front shut when the weight is at it lowest point.

> Once this moving part is in place attach the lid again using two pieces of wire to form a hinge at the bottom.

> Now you test whether the rod and lid works. You lower the apparatus down so that the weight hits the floor first and when it does it should move the rod up and release the door on the front to drop downward releasing the bait.

> If this part works then simply attach a hooking point somewhere on the can to hook it for use. Maybe a piece of cork superglued on but with your line going through a loop to reach it in case it comes off so you dont lose your creation.

> Finally cut some holes in to prevent a current from having to much of an effect on the dropper. But not too big to lose bait!

Just an idea but this is how i would do it.

P.S. It might be worth looking for something that wont rust!

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

this might help as a cheap alternative - a pva bag

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

this might help as a cheap alternative - a pva bag

lol not quite as reusable though toady. Plus im sure for the costs involved in producing one from a tin can compared to constantly buying pva bags is significantly lower. :P

lol not quite as reusable though toady. Plus im sure for the costs involved in producing one from a tin can compared to constantly buying pva bags is significantly lower. :P

that would depend on

a; frequency of use

b; being handy enough with tools to make one - if you have to buy the tools it can get expensive

True for those amongst us with tools and a workshop - no problem. But you would be surprised at how many anglers I have known who do not even own a screwdriver or a pair of pliers.

that would depend on

a; frequency of use

b; being handy enough with tools to make one - if you have to buy the tools it can get expensive

True for those amongst us with tools and a workshop - no problem. But you would be surprised at how many anglers I have known who do not even own a screwdriver or a pair of pliers.

lol at least one screwdriver and a pair of pliers would be the bare minimum that i would expect every man to have in his possesion. My tool kit has been growing ever since owning my first motorbike at age 16. I couldnt live without my tools. You never know when you might need them. Saves an awful lot of money on mechanics fees!

that would depend on

a; frequency of use

But PVA bags Watatoad :rolleyes: , I did not think that would be your style. Next you will be singing the praises of bait boats, delkims, bait cannons :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

But PVA bags Watatoad :rolleyes: , I did not think that would be your style. Next you will be singing the praises of bait boats, delkims, bait cannons :D

Love them all --- erm --- I'm lying... :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Seriously what I do love is people being able to go fishing without breaking the bank...which is why I have just finished the second ten rod tests and some reel tests Yes including the ZENMASTER

sending you a pm will make you laugh.