Stuck push in quiver tip

WickerDave

I don't know whether or not you have managed to remove the quiver tip but the best method I have found is to get a 2 - 2.5 inch nail cut the head off and smooth the cut down with a file, check diameter of the nail is less than that of the quiver tip if it is place the cut end into your rod blank and hold rod section in a vertical postion with tip nearest to ground and lift section up and jerk down sharply if no joy after 1/2 dozen attempts try the more drastic approach of letting the nail slide to end of rod away from tip and hold rod vertically in air with the tip upwards and flick the rod forwards 90 degees hard and fast. This is best done on lawn as when tip come out it can sometimes fly out. (W.D 40 will always help).

Thanks for the additional suggestions, too late to help!

Encouraged by a dry pull that moved it a millimetre or two, I went back to the hair dryer. I must have overheated the glass tip as a ridge appeared on it after further pulling/twisting, so I ended up sawing it off and drilling out the remains. This went better than I expected, with no visible increase in the size of the female joint. The remaining two tips were a snug fit :). Checking that everything would bend without breaking, it didn't :(. The top of the quiver rod section snapped cleanly off directly under the push in section.

Anyone got an unwanted quiver tip top section for a JW Avon Mk II, before I go off and see what ridiculous price you have to pay for a spare?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that but at least you are now well armed with info in case it ever happens again.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 4 weeks later...

£20.70 delivered for a replacement part direct from Masterline. Expensive enough considering the whole rod system is £65-£70 online, but just about justifiable. They were pretty efficient via e-mail and phone, although they did manage to send the wrong part first time (their fault). They were suitably apologetic and got it right second time.

A bit late but for future use, when Liam got his pole stuck (Even Budgie & Andrew couldn't shift it!!!) someone told me to use 2 slices of bread to hold it & grip with, you need 2 people and you both pull and twist in opposite directions at the same time.

Like the marigolds it does form a good bond and you get a really good grip.

Have you looked on ebay for a tip?

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

• 5 years later...

Dry the whole thing, don a pair of marigolds for grip and pull/twist.

Just don't twist it using an eye for leverage.

I came home today with a tip stuck fast in the quiver section of one of my Fox Avons. Quite why it happened now - no muck or grit in it - I haven't a clue; it's never happened before with either rod.

One quick trawl on here and I had the answer. No Marigolds to be found under the sink, but a piece of chamois leather from the same place did the trick, immediately. In fact, it was hard to believe it came apart so easily after my purple-faced contortions on the bank didn't budge it at all. A piece of chamois now lives in my rod bag!

Anyway, all the tips have had a light dressing with 1200 grade wet and dry and all four fit perfectly now. Strange how they've all become tight - almost as if the section had shrunk a little in diameter.

I believe thanks are in order, gentlemen. :clap3:

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I'm happy enough to take credit for something posted five years ago but the squares of rubberised mesh sold for opening jars are even better and not nearly as pervy if someone spots them in your tackle box.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I made a similar post / cry for help about 3 months ago, and found a solution just yesterday ... I've updated my original post with the solution here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/4901729-top-2-rod-sections-stuck-help/?hl=sections

I made a similar post / cry for help about 3 months ago, and found a solution just yesterday ... I've updated my original post with the solution here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/4901729-top-2-rod-sections-stuck-help/?hl=sections

Love it!

I was convinced that mine would have to be separated professionally; so firmly stuck was it, but it came apart with no more force than you'd normally use when breaking a rod down. Good stuff, that chamois!

I'll save your method for a more stubborn problem, Philo. Great story, mate. :thumbs:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."