Simple baits?

Sulis

Hello all,

I first posted in these forums a couple of months ago, as an angler returning to the sport. I've since managed to scrape together some tackle and had a couple of short sessions at a local lake. I'm pleased to say that the passion for the sport still flows through my veins!

Anyway, on to the question. One of the main differences I feel between fishing today and when I previously fished (I think it must be some eleven years ago... I really can't recall) is the plethora of bait additives available, from flavours to colourings, as well as some unusual but effective choices (cat food springs to mind). I'm presuming that these new flavours and colours are to increase the catch rate, and to offer the fish something different to, shall we say, traditional baits? Well, here's a thought... how do you think a fish would react to plain bread flake, lobworm, sweetcorn, etc in light of the baits we all use today?

Here's my line of thought. It's simplistic enough; a fish presented with sweetcorn may get used to the bait. Colour it, or flavour it, and it may see the bait differently, i.e. it won't make that link that i'm certain fish do between sweetcorn, and being caught! After a while, the fish gets used to flavoured/coloured baits, so plain old bread flake is once again perceived as a tasty mouthful... a change, perhaps?

If the above waffle makes sense, i'll be pleased! Does anyone see where I am coming from here? Hopefully someone will understand and save my embarrassment.

This leads me on to what extent a fish remembers and how it regards a new bait. Trepidation? Uncertainty? Or are they really just greedy blighters that will hoover up anything that looks/smells appetizing?

Apologies for the long post :)

Sulis:

Or are they really just greedy blighters that will hoover up anything that looks/smells appetizing?

I think that covers about 90% of it,the rest is where the variations come to the fore.

I still manage to catch my fair share on bread,maggots,caster,cheesepaste,luncheon meat,maize,and chum mixers.

I too am an angler who returned to the sport last summer after a 20-odd year lay off. On visiting my local tackle shop (which was a hairdresser and a pet shop, back in my teenage angling days) I was amazed at the range and variety of baits available, so much so it took up around one third of the whole shop. That being said, I was at a local mixed fishery on Wednesday morning and managed to net half a dozen carp by midday (the biggest a 7 lb mirror, which I was more than pleased with!), by legering a single grain of sweetcorn, and flinging half a dozen grains out every half hour.

Terry

Terry

i think you've hit the nail on the head sulis, so many new baits going into a water has to mean traditional baits are seen less regularly by the fish, good news for you and me!. no fancy or 'unusual' baits have ever seemed to catch me more fish than the old favourites, they seem to work for some people, but maybe thats because they never use anything different.

Our club come sover to England once a year to fish a few matches over a weekend on a Carp venue (something we don't have many off in Ireland). Last year was my first and we went to Woodlands near Thirsk (same venue this year). I asked advice from anyone that would offer any on baits and studied all the mags. Pellets were stocked up, luncheon meat cut and flavoured all that jazz. What did we catch on? Chopped worm, caster and sweetcorn! Now I don't know whether this was just because we're used to fishing these baits or not but I'll not run short of worm and caster this year I can tell you.

But on the other hand, using a single bait (with no pre-baiting at all) that has NEVER been seen by your target fish, can be fantastic.

This can be shown especially with Chub, which as a species is quite greedy and will often pick up stuff and swallow it, just to see if it's edible/beneficial. I've caught Chub on Plasticine.

What can be said with certainty is that adding flavours to a bait, thereby giving it a label, may make it attractive in the short term, but can in some circumstances make the fish recognise it as dangerous quicker.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

kendo:

would'nt plastocine be toxic?

You're not thinking hard enough kendo.

Would kids be allowed to play with it in todays nanny state?

i posted a message here which on rereading it, made no sense at all, (no change there you might say!!) so i deleted it, sorry everyone!

[ 08. January 2004, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: jeepster ]