Broken rod?

lancslass

Hi all. Had a wonderfull fishing holiday in Cumbria last week, but while there my 12 year old son used my rod while I wasnt there and snapped the end couple of inches from it! :( Casting out and hit a tree... What I was wondering is the best way to repair it, one fishermen said to just cut it down to the nearest eye and use it as a shorter rod or is it better to put a new end eye on. I could do that myself very handy at DIY stuff I'd only used the rod 6 times, it was a birthday pressey and I was as sick as a chip...

Tight lines

Jean

Sorry to hear about your rod but glad you had a nice holiday all the same. My suggestion is that, in the first instance, you contact the manufacturer and tell them your tale of woe. They may take pity on you and send you a replacement. Failing that, I'd go for the new top ring. If all you've lost is literally a couple of inches I don't think it would matter too much. Fitting a new top ring wouldn't cost a lot and you'd preserve as much of the original rod as possible. Strictly speaking I suppose that you should adjust the spacing of the remaining rings on the top joint but you could always tape the new ring in place and see if you're happy with it before you do all the whipping and varnishing etc.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

I would go along with the above. To take the tip ring off the broken bit just heat up the tube that fits on the rod with a lighter or a candle. That will melt the glue and then hold the ring with forceps and just slide them apart whilst it is still hot.

Tell everyone it was broken by a monster! Just don't say it was a little monster.

All of the above posts give sound advice.The options given would be my first choice too.If loosing some of the rods length is a problem you still have an alternative though-

If your rod has a "spliced tip",this is where a thinner length of carbon (normally solid) has been slid up the hollow tip section and "spliced in" you can simpley remove any rings on this section ,remove then replace the section.If your rod is a "hollow tip" rod then just as easily you can turn it in toa spliced tip rod!

To explain a bit more about identifying a splice and carrying out a repair/replacement try these two articles,the "spliced quiver tip" repair is exactly the same principle as you will need and the "split female ferrule" repair just shows you haow to do a whipping (just in case you dont allready know).

fishingmagic.com/news/article.a...SP=&v=1&UAN=816

fishingmagic.com/news/article.a...P=&v=1&UAN=1019

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I remember breaking my Dad's rod, when I was about that age, running along the bank, the bouncing tip caught on the ground and snapped off. We took it to the tackleshop, where they put a new top-ring on, making it like new, but a bit shorter. It persuaded my Dad to buy us both a new fibreglass match rod, each, shortly afterwards. What did you catch on your fishing holiday, Lancslass?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I caught loads of roach, some over the pound, monsters by my usuall catches :) But the best of all was I got 4 tench, never caught any before they were brilliant, not huge ones, but who cares! haha They were caught with 2 maggots near the margins in the afternoon, I always thought that they were an early morning or late evening fish..My son did the best we bought him a £16.99 Middy Whip as he was getting tangles on his reel, and to give us some peace and quiet from sorting it out all the time we got him that. He caught 2 mirror carp, tench and some large roach better than all of us! Oh and we also caught eel's YUK

thanks for the advice about the rod lads :)

Tight lines

Jean

I'm a bit of a rod breaker and both Diawa and Orvis sent me new top sections within a week by post for no charge (for price of the Orvis rod this was expected!) but Diawa did it out of the goodness of their hearts - you can guess what brand of rod I bought since then! :)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.