Understanding recommended lines for rods?

Stormflex

I'm new to coarse fishing and looking to buy my first float and feeder rods. However, I am a little unsure on line breaking strain.

A lot of rods seems to be in the 2-6lbs, 2-8lbs range.

I found the following info which was sort of helpful:

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...-strain-guide2/

If I look at, say, Daiwa Sensor 6lb line it has a diameter of 0.24mm. So breaking strain is going to be around 10lb 4oz

Frobury Farm is local to me and a venue I will likely try. According to their website:

"Past catches include perch up to 4lb and carp up to 15lb."

Does this mean that if I hook one of their 15lb carp on my 6lb line it's going to break?

Thanks for any advice.

Richard

I'm new to coarse fishing and looking to buy my first float and feeder rods. However, I am a little unsure on line breaking strain.

If I look at, say, Daiwa Sensor 6lb line it has a diameter of 0.24mm. So breaking strain is going to be around 10lb 4oz

Frobury Farm is local to me and a venue I will likely try. According to their website:

Does this mean that if I hook one of their 15lb carp on my 6lb line it's going to break?

Thanks for any advice.

Richard

Ok that confused the hell out of me for a second and i stand (or at least sit ) to be corrected. If a line has a lbs/kgs rating on it thats the breaking strain the manufacturer has given the line. Breaking strain is in respects to a shock loading rather than a constant load so for instance you may be able to pick up a 15lb weight gently with a 6lbs line but if you try to yank it up then the line will give as its only rated to hold 6lbs of weight under x amount of newtons of force.

As for what lines ok i will wait for the more experienced to give that verdict as it will enlighten me a little as well as i am sure i always use a heavier line than i actually should

The breaking strain and fish landing properties of line completely depend on the environment that you are fishing in. For example, I managed to land a 26lb 8oz carp on 6lb line, size 14 hook and an avon rod with 1.25 test curve from a snag free lake. Using the same set up on a snaggy river swim I would be lucky to land a 4lb chub. The rod action and test curve are only a starting point for deciding which strength or type of line to go for. The swim and conditions, as well as the type of fish you are hoping to catch are far more important factors in deciding which strength of line you need. Hope this helps :)

Ok that confused the hell out of me for a second and i stand (or at least sit ) to be corrected. If a line has a lbs/kgs rating on it thats the breaking strain the manufacturer has given the line. Breaking strain is in respects to a shock loading rather than a constant load so for instance you may be able to pick up a 15lb weight gently with a 6lbs line but if you try to yank it up then the line will give as its only rated to hold 6lbs of weight under x amount of newtons of force.

As for what lines ok i will wait for the more experienced to give that verdict as it will enlighten me a little as well as i am sure i always use a heavier line than i actually should

When I've tested line by using cast iron kitchen weights in a plastic bag some line will lift it's stated breaking strain, some will break before lifting up the stated breaking strain and some will be significantly stronger than stated. I must addmitt i've not found a 6lb rated mono cabable of lifting a 15lb weight up no matter how gently I lift it ! Usually at best 2 or 3lb at best stronger than the stated BS in the lower BS mono's of 4 to 8lb.

When I've tested line by using cast iron kitchen weights in a plastic bag some line will lift it's stated breaking strain, some will break before lifting up the stated breaking strain and some will be significantly stronger than stated. I must addmitt i've not found a 6lb rated mono cabable of lifting a 15lb weight up no matter how gently I lift it ! Usually at best 2 or 3lb at best stronger than the stated BS in the lower BS mono's of 4 to 8lb.

The 15lbs was a for instance but i am suprised that line is breaking below its bs especially if its new stock something to bear in mind anyway. Out of interest is this a specific brand or across the spectrum

The 15lbs was a for instance but i am suprised that line is breaking below its bs especially if its new stock something to bear in mind anyway. Out of interest is this a specific brand or across the spectrum

I've tested quite a few lines over the years out of curiosity and very few have ever been what they say they are either breaking above or below their stated BS. As far as I know i've always tested new line which has been in the manufacturers boxes and out of direct sunlight so not perished in any way. One line which I always drone on about is daiwa sensor due to the fact that it's slightly less than it's stated diameter but has a breaking strain above the one stated.

Thanks for any advice.

Richard

As others have pointed out the rating of a line is measured against shock. When you are playing a large fish its weight is supported by water, the line and rod become like a huge powerful whip. If the knots don't cause problems and the hook holds fast (a problem with barbless hooks and large carp as some shake their heads violently to throw the hook) then landing large fish on lines of relatively low breaking strain is easily possible.

Yesterday I tried out my new Fred Crouch 'Jet' centrepin for the first time on carp up to 10lbs and I found that COMBINED WITH A 15' CARBON ROD I was able to tame them quicker than with my fixed spool reel. The reel allowed me to use the 'curve' of the rod and the stretch of the line together despite the low 5lb hook length I felt in complete control and I could feel every move of the carp. So don't be worried about using light lines for presentation just learn how to play the fish sensitively if they are really big.

I have a question though, can anyone recommend a quality line between 7-8lbs breaking strain but less than 1.8mm? I float fish and I would like something that passes more smoothly through the tiny rod tip eyes.

I've tested quite a few lines over the years out of curiosity and very few have ever been what they say they are either breaking above or below their stated BS. As far as I know i've always tested new line which has been in the manufacturers boxes and out of direct sunlight so not perished in any way. One line which I always drone on about is daiwa sensor due to the fact that it's slightly less than it's stated diameter but has a breaking strain above the one stated.

Thats good news then as purely due to knowing the brand when i restarted fishing i spooled up with daiwa sensor on everything. Heres one to lucky coincidences.

Think that daiwa sensor may be the line to go for then Neuvy

Edited by Austin