So, what bait shall I try?

larsagi2010

Ok, I am off to a stretch of the River Dee I have never fished before.

In fact this part of the river is practically un-fished in general and if its saw more than 20 anglers over the past 5 years I would be surprised! This means that the fish have probably never saw a hook and line before, and probably never will again....

Species that I know are there:

Large Perch (3-5lb)

Carp (From 6lb to 40lb)

Tench (Rare to catch in general from here, and tend to be quite small for some reason? 2-4lb)

Bream (Shedloads of them are about!)

Barbel (Not so common but are found here) They are also reported to be BIG

As well as the usual Eels, roach, dace, gudgeon ect: but all reported to be smaller in size.

Baits I have are:

1. Boilie (Peach with maplecream) and they are bright orange. and are 15mm

2. Sweetcorn (I have standard and red strawberry corn)

3. Maggots

Maggots are not so good for a Large method feeder rig with size 12 hook.... Last time I used maggots on it a small roach was hooked and couldn't move my feeder to give me a bite..... He was ok as I repositioned quickly but I don't like the idea of the smaller baits.

What would you guys recommend for baits?

River description:

Very wide, very deep, slow flowing. In fact with a method feeder a damn good cast would only get it about halfway across. I will also add that one side is man-made (Concrete bank) the other side has lots of overgrown trees but is much shallower along there. Also the overgrown side has poor accessabillity so unless I can find a way to cast double the distance I am stuck for fishing there...

Would you recommend middle channel (As far as I can cast?) or trying my best to squeeze into the overgrown side and fish ledger in the margins?

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I would start of putting maggot through a feeder.

I might have to dig out my trusty maggot feeder than and give it a whirl! The width is sadly 453ft which makes it hard to cast tight to the overgrown side though :angry:

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

The reason I suggested maggot through a feeder is that (within reason) it doesn't matter where you initially cast to/Just keep casting to exactly the same spot and you will build up a bed of bait that will attract fish.Casting to the far bank on larger rivers just causes more problems ie harder to be accurate and harder to hold bottom due to current on line.

On big rivers where the current is strong I often have a few initial casts with an empty feeder just to see where its going to end up or if I need to add extra weight.Best to do this with an empty feeder rather than spreading bait all over the place.Once Im happy I then cast frequently (as soon as the feeder is empty) to get some bait in (exact amount depends on conditions,how many fish I expect to be there etc etc) I then only recast when I get a bite or have given it long enough.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Another option is a large cage feeder with groundbait and corn approach or groundbait and maggot/caster. I have found it good for barbel/dace/roach trout and chub in particular as there arent many bream where I fish.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

If you can get hold of some worms they might be worth a go. There is not much that swims in a river that will not take them and if large Perch are about it would be a shame not ot give yourself a chance of hooking one.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I'd be tempted to try a bit of gardening to get to a swim on the overgrown side if it's at all possible. Then trot maggots in the slow flow, if the perch are that big though I'd do my utmost to get hold of some lobs.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi mate,

The dee is not an easy river to fish as I have found out the last 4 years, however local knowledge is the key to a good catch unless you fancy putting the hours in yourself.

Send me an email with the rough whereabouts and I'll be happy to share what info and tips I have picked up, having fished the majority of the lower river with average success.

that said, the advice given here is spot on if you are happy to catch whatever comes along.

email is richjonesy@hotmail.co.uk

Firstly of all thank you so much everyone for the idea's tips. I will certainly be implementing them on Saturday (That is when I am going!) It will be me, my wife and two kids. Although the kids won't be fishing I will have a Feeder rod out, a float rod out. And my wife will have a float rod and possibly a feeder rod also so we can certainly cover some decent ground between us and we can always start of with different baits on each and see which one/area gets the most attention.

Apparantly near the Weir there was a number of Carp spotted today all sitting just below the surface. Shockingly there was several Ghost Carp of a good weight spotted and also what appeared to be 8-10 Koi Carp there also??! The person who spotted them (A good friend of mine) said most were bright orange and white, there was one that was nearly all black with flame red speckles on it... I am not sure if there was mainly Koi there, or if they were easier to spot in the water and there was in fact plenty of Common/Mirrors there also.... Nevertheless it has sparked some interest for Saturdays session. Although I will add he said he chucked some bread in and they seemed reluctant to even investigate them so.... Maybe they will be tricky to catch... We shall see!

Hi mate,

The dee is not an easy river to fish as I have found out the last 4 years, however local knowledge is the key to a good catch unless you fancy putting the hours in yourself.

Send me an email with the rough whereabouts and I'll be happy to share what info and tips I have picked up, having fished the majority of the lower river with average success.

that said, the advice given here is spot on if you are happy to catch whatever comes along.

email is richjonesy@hotmail.co.uk

Hey mate, I will get an e-mail over later on, thanks for the support!

The area I am considering is:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie...mp;t=h&z=17

All along ''The Groves'' between the two bridges. I would probably be fishing on the concrete side (Top) as the buggies don't like rough terrain and also the other side has a sandy slope which makes it difficult to land fish safely.

Any info you have on this stretch would be highly appreciated. I will also be willing to share any info I have regarding the location.

Dan

larsagi@yahoo.co.uk

I truly believe I have the two best interests in history. Anglers will always stop to help an Angler like myself. Motorcyclists will always stop to help when mine breaks down :lol:

Edited by larsagi2010