Slugs

Dunk Fairley

csmaster:

jeeez a size 2 hook, i only use 16's !!u lot are too good for me !

The big orange ones are usually about 2 to 3 inches long, so a size 2 hook is a very suitable size. Anthing smaller and you're likely to miss too many bites.

As Andy says you choose the hook according to the bait size. A size 2 hook in a big slug is still balanced tackle, and doesn't adversely effect presentation like it would with a small bait. Very often the slug is taken in seconds!

Additionally, I like to fish slugs in real jungle swims and here you're got to use heavy gear to get big chub out. I've even been smashed on 8lb Maxima!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

I have been reading this thread with some interest but waited a while for comments to come in before doing so myself.

Hows the hip by the way Dunc? Better I hope.

Right then; Slugs.

Firstly, why bother to keep slugs? Seems a pretty useless exercise to me considering they can be harvested extremely quickly with no fuss even in the height of summer when its really hot. Far better to let nature keep them until they are required for use I'd say.

What I would advise for slug fishing is the following;

Harvest some slugs two days before they are required. The rusty red types fish better in coloured water whilst the black ones fish better in clear water. Obtain a five gallon brewing bucket and some green vegetable matter such as green summer cabbage leaves etc. Rinse these leaves, enough to fill about one third of the bucket loosely, and place still dripping wet into the bucket. Then, and this is the important bit, sprinkle one pound of Demerara sugar onto the wet cabbage leaves and stir about with your hands. Some of the sugar will start to melt on the wet cabbage leaves.

Now pop in your slugs. Trust me now. You will be needing 50-100 of them because slugs prepared in this way will be wolfed down by hungry fish in a manner you wouldn't believe.

Get some fine net curtaining, place over the open bucket and tie around with a piece of cord. (nylon because it wont rot)

This will leave the bucket looking very much "jam jar" like with its breathable cover tied on top. Now, cover the bucket with an old bath towel or similar that has been soaked with cold water. Place under a hedge or in the shade in a NORTH FACING (very important) situation.

Leave for a couple of days like I say then go fishing. Once at the water, river etc;

DONT hook the slugs. Hair rig them. Here's how.

Now most people know how to tie up a hangmans noose. Dont they? You know, the one seen on all good western movies dangling from a tree. Usually the intended fate for a horse thief or bad guy. Anyway, what works for horse thiefs in movies also works for slugs.

Tie up the hangmans noose using braided line. Heavy rough braid to around 20lb test is best. Now whip on the hook shank using a knotless knot. Then simply open the noose, pop in the slug and tighten. Experiment with the noose until a large slug sits in the noosed hair a half inch below the bend of the hook. A Drennan boilee hook in size 1 or 2 works the best.

On small rivers, noosed slug baits are deadly. Try this method;

Tie the hook directly on the end of the mainline with the noose whipped on the hooks shank as described. Weight the line 10 inches above the hook with a piece of plastercine or heavy metal type putty. Plastercine is cheaper and equally as effective. Cast into every likely looking fish holding area. Under overhanging bushes etc are ideal locations for all course and game fish to be laying up in.

If the over hanging cover is to thick to allow a cast, try this. Take some really thick slices of bread along. Sit the slug bait on a slice of bread and let it trot down under the overhanging bush. Once there, simply strike off the slug from the slice of bread and into the water under the bush it plops. If there are fish at home they will take the slug instantly so hold into the rod!

Also, keep one eye on the slice of bread as it carries on down river. If a large mouth starts to take these slices, simply take off the slug bait and free line some pieces of bread down stream.

If its really heart stopping laid back fishing you are after, these methods will produce the goods.

Regards,

Lee.

the reason i use size 16's is because i'm just kind of a newbie, and only go fishing on the canal and n ever catch anything big!

i dont understand anything u said trent.barbeler, cus like i said i'm new to fishing!

what sie slugs would u guys recoment using for the canal ? and how would i set it up ?

the only other place i can fish is the river trent, but i dont usually go there as the current is so strong i have no idea how to fish it !

csmaster,

you're very wise not to fish somewhere that you think is too deep or dangerous. stay like that and you'll probably live longer!

If you do get to go to the Trent sometime, I reckon Slugs are an excellent bait (no doubt confirmed by Trent Barbler) Don't forget though, that Slugs are only one option as far as baits go. There are lots of others around and as I said at the start, they don't ALWAYS work.

As far as using 16s goes, i time you'll learn to use bigger hooks, which suit biger baits. I say again, you are doing the right thing, this time by learning properly. If you go for huge fish straight away, you'll miss half the fun and develop half the skill.

Anyway, I'll have a go with the Cabbage leaf and sugar method, so thanks Trent Barbler. In answer to your question about my Hip, er it's not very good. Still waiting for an operation date, probably around Xmas. Then I suppose I'll have to sit out the rest of the season or something boring. perhaps I'll write a book about how slugs took over my house or something!!!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Tried slugs for bait foir the first time today, was trying to tempt a chub on bread crust but it was proving difficult, noticed a slug at my feet, rememberd this thread, slipped on the slug, lobed it to where the chub were lying, blody great bow wave appears as a chub charges for the slug, no hesitation whatsoever!! Brilliant!