Goretex reproofing

Butt Banger

Help....

I have a goretex jacket and trousers (the army surplus ones - like those from transworld) and need to reproof them as the jacket seemed a little "leaky" last time I wore it in a downpour.Can anyone recommend a product that will do this?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Butt Banger

I thought goretex was not supposed to leak.

I've been thinking about getting some from Transworld,are you telling me they're no good ?

There is lots of info on goretex here... gore-tex.co.uk/advisor/full_pro...roduct_line.cfm

I've been using breathable 'waterproof' materials for cycling for some time. None of them stay waterproof. Goretex is probably better than most.

Washing them is what causes the problem.

Goretex recommend using a mild detergent. Don't!

If you need something to remove grease or stains, use Nixwax Tech Wash. Then spray the cleaned garment with Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On reproofing.

Tumbling the garment, or ironing it on a low setting (if the instructions allow) will increase the waterproofness.

Use TX.Direct Wash-In between the Tech Wash, and the spray on if the garment has become really leaky.

I'm now inclined to wear dark waterproofs, which don't show the grime, and only wash them when I really, really have to (I wear a fluroscent waistcoat over the top when cycling).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I use Ronsons water seal {dose what it says on the can} for my brollie and tent dont know if it would work on your jacket though.

It leaves your brollie a bit sticky for a while but no water gets in.

Info on the site that the above link is for says that you should reproof goretex regularly but only to stop the outer layer from getting waterlogged and making it heavier.

The garment should be waterproof in its own right by virtue of a ptfe layer in the middle of the material.

I suppose that there must come a time when that layer breaks down through wear, but how long should we expect it to last before that happens?