No more chub!

tommo666

Started fishing again this summer after many years break. Had a wondederful time on a stretch of the Blackwater, regularily catching Perch to 2lb and above and Chub to 5 or 6. Large hook and lob couldn't fail. With the on set of winter the large fish seem to have disapeared. They must be still feeding? but lob draws a blank. Lots of Roach on small hooks and maggotts. Question: Have the larger fish moved somewhere else? Should I resign myself to bashing Roach for the winter months? Any advice gladly received.

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Liquidised or mashed bread feed, feeder, lead or long trotting. Breadflake the size of a matchbox on a size 4 or 6 hook, or lobs in triplicate. Keep mobile and follow your bread trail downstream, 20 mins/no indications...move one swim downstream..Good luck!. :)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

follow steves advice mate,they have probably moved onto theer winter quarters,you might be able to find this using polaroid glasses on a low clear river,look for deep holes or deep bends or any moored boats,good depth with cover also good bets,keep mobile!

nice one steve,i like that "follow the bread trail downstream" very good tatic

a group of big chub,i fish for from time to time(they are VERY difficult) often dissapear from there summer haunt as soon as the first cold snap comes.i often end up finding then in a deep slack area. the deepest part of the river that i know,but there are times when i havent got a clue where they are!and then theer are mild spells in winter when they go back to ther summer haunt...never for very long tho.

[ 07. December 2004, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I've yet to find the winter hideouts for the larger chub in my local river.

I havent used the bread method to full effect yet. will have to try it again.

If you live close to the river, why not try a feeding campaign. every evening you could chuck in some mashed bread/corn/casters/hemp etc into a few good swims then rest it for a day and fish the following evening. hopefully the larger chub will be in your swims and waiting their evening meal.

i tried it on a small scale with sweetcorn and bits of worm. I knew the chub lived in this particular swim, so i couldnt realy prove if it drew them in or not, but it seemed to work. I landed 3 chub over 3lb and one of 2lb excatly.

The idea is to get them used to the feed at the same time every evening, until they are expecting it!

John Wilson wrote about his experiences with this, he used to work next to a river with a population of chub that he could see from his window. Every lunch break he would throw in a few bit of bread etc from just up stream. After a few weeks the chub were almost lining up waiting for their afternoon lunch haha! Even bits of chicken and chips were gobbled up. He never tried fishing for them though, he just enjoyed watching them and sharing his lunch.

tommo666:

Had a wondederful time on a stretch of the Blackwater, regularily catching Perch to 2lb and above and Chub to 5 or 6.  

Sounds fantastic summer fishing. I'm not so far away from you, on the Kennet. We certainly get those kind of fish, but I couldn't say I regularly catch them! They don't seem to disappear in winter in the same way, though. In fact I get the impression people catch more big perch and chub in winter than the summer. To put things in perspective, I've had two chub over 5lb in the last few years (one of them a very lucky 6lb 9oz) and 4 perch over 2lb, though some people have had more than me, of course. The Kennet is also a very varied river, with slow bits and also fast shallow bits. Much is local angling society, but there are some free bits too.

Is any of the Blackwater free or dt?

john clarke

Where i fish is free John. it is on a public footpath. If I could find the owner I would obviously ask permission. I go to this spot a lot and have never been questioned.I do have to put up with the odd cow licking behind my ears though!!!

Never fished the kennet, although it was my House name at school. Would be interested to know where the free bits are.

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

The main free stretch is from the A339 bridge by the library up to where the river joins the canal above Northcroft Leisure Centre. There are good fish in it, but it's mainly canalised river, with people going along the towpath etc. There's also a small weir-pool on the north side at the top end, and a very short stretch of river just before it hits the canal, also on the north side at the top end. The Lambourn also has some free bits - mainly grayling and pike. PM me if you want more detail.

john clarke