flurocarbon

john

now i am mostly a river man.during the close season i have been tempted to try fly fishing on stocked lakes.consequently i have 'come across' flurocarbon(not sure of the spelling).i wondered if it would be suitable as a hooklength for barbel.what do you think?

I've been using Drennan Fluorocarbon fly leader in 8lb bs.for a couple of seasons now for barbelling with pleasing results.

John - a few of the characteristics so you can see if you want a line to do what it does (and I use it for certain applications where it is outstanding). Comparisons are all to standard mono line.

1. Heavier and will sink nicely.

2. Very low stretch (but might not matter with short pieces).

3. Does not absorb water so wet knot strength is as good as dry knot strength.

4. Good abrasion resistance.

5. Can be a bit more stiff.

6. Not subject to degredation from sunlight (UV) and will stay in good shape for several years on a reel.

7. Slightly smaller diameter for a given breaking strength.

Should be excellent with wet flies. Not much good for drys though. :)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

You forgot to mention that having a much closer refraction index to that of water, than mono has, it's underwater visibility is reduced (but beware kinks which can cause light to bounce off the curvature, see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon13.htm for a solution).

Also, being harder than mono, it can weaken/cut the mono when tied directly. Best to use a stainless steel rig ring (or small swivel) to make the join.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I like flourocarbon hooklengths too in certain situations. It's definitely stiffer than mono, which may be good or bad depending on your rig. Likewise the fact that it sinks. However, it's certainly less visible, although this is unlikely to matter when it's lying on the bottom.

I've also used it for floater fishing for carp where I like the hooklength (but not the reel line) to sink. I find a floating hooklength often spooks the fish.

The best make I've found to date is Grand Max, which is distributed in the UK by Preston in the lighter breaking strains (up to 7lbs if I remember), and Gardner in the heavier strains.

Many will tell you that one to avoid is Berkeley's Vanish. I actually binned mine. This was surprising as Berkeley lines are usually so good.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Definitely avoid Berkeley Vanish,it's not actually a true fluoro carbon anyway.

How do you test that?

Put a match to it,if when you remove the match it continues to burn then it has some nylon mixed in with it,if on the other hand it goes out ,then it's a true fluorocarbon.

John I've also used Wychwood Fluoro in 6lb bs. with no problems.

Tried it for the first time last year. Hmm wot make was it err????. Anyway found it very good found making hook lengths up alot easier as it don't seem to kink like normal mono. The only thing is is it not cheap. Well worth using though :D

Thanks to all.I have decided to give this type of line some attention this season (on Sun for a start) with my hooklenghts for barbel.Mind you it didn't help today fly fishing on the Hodder when the river rose 1ft in about 1min!!!! cheers and good luck Sun. all you course river persons,John.

This may be a bit late, there is a line on the market that is invisible in water, that is not Fluro, I have been using it for a couple of seasons now it is a bit pricey but worth every penny.

It is Insight GR60 clear, I cannot fault it.