changing line

dave_H1

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Dave

Welcome to AnglersNet.

I'm sorry I haven't get anything other than a very flippant reply, which is that I always find that taking the old line off before putting the new stuff on works best for me.

I'm sure that others will probably have a much more sensible answer. You could also take a look here.

I'm farely certain somebody does an automatic (battery operated) line stripper - Berkley?

As for loading line on, if the spool is a bulk spool (say .25 lb) I tend to put the spool in a bucket of water and wind it on to the reel while it is in the water. This has a number of benefits, but in particular, the wet line reduces friction caused by the line running through my fingers (to provide tension). Or so I think!!

I would never want to be without a line stripper any more. Best gadget I've got I think.

Berkley does do one. Combination line stripper and hook sharpner. Not sure about a UK source but you can see one (and even buy one) Here.

I'm also very fond of another gadget I got for putting line on the spool. Saves the agony of doing it with other methods I've used. A nice one is available at Bass Pro Shops and looks like

line-winder.jpg

The bottom piece is a suction cup so you can mount it anywhere. Put any amount of tension you want by compressing the spring before you tighten the top piece on.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i always find that to get rid of the line cast as hard as you can using a sparkplug as a weight ,cut the line at the reel and repeat the process untill empty ,insuring ofcourse that at least some of the line gets caught in trees ,bushes etc .

WELL IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEPEOPLE DO IT THIS WAY . :(

please remember (everybody) to cut the line into small bits before putting in the bin ,it poses a threat to wildlife even on a landfill site ,we dont want to harm those lovely foxes and seagulls do we :):(:D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Line twist -

Multiplier, doesn't happen.

Fixed spool, probably will happen some although less if you take the line off in the correct direction. Try a few winds and see if it is twisting. If so, invert the spool and do some more. However, I always plan to spool up, let it all out, and then wind it back on while running the line thru some sort of device to put a bit of pressure on which usually moves the twists off the line. I have one made of a fairly hard rubber with a slit in the center and a nut/bolt thru the thing so I can adjust tension on the line. Winding the line thru this device - assuming the end is free to twist - makes it go on twist free for the most part.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi ya Dave

I was taught that to get line onto your reel without getting it twisted you have to wind the line on, with line going onto the reel in the same direction as it comes off the spool. To do this it means that the line has to come off the side of the spool. I have always done it this way and it seems to work alright. I normally get the wife to hold the spool while I wind it onto the reel, much cheaper than gizmo's and, she also makes a nice cuppa. :D:D

Newt:

I'm also very fond of another gadget I got for putting line on the spool.  Saves the agony of doing it with other methods I've used.  A nice one is available at Bass Pro Shops and looks like

line-winder.jpg

The bottom piece is a suction cup so you can mount it anywhere.  Put any amount of tension you want by compressing the spring before you tighten the top piece on.

These are actually available in the UK as I got one recently for £6.99 on Ebay. They're available direct from the same company though for £8.50 at http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.