Night fishing

Howard 13

How much do you reckon fishing at night with a beam on the water will spook the fish?

I'm planning on doing a bit of bream fishing on the river (which is about 12-14ft deep) next week.

I usually fish the feeder and keep the artificial light to a minimum, but next week I'm going to try fishing the pole obviously with a light beam on my float.

I'm hoping the depth of the swim will be on my side and they won't be spooked.

Any views?

HB.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i wouldn't use a pole on a river anyway but thats just my oppion.

Why don't you just get some small star lights/isotopes and put them your float?You can get Isotopes of e-bay HERE

[ 30. June 2005, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: chris mc ]

Hi Chris,

chris mc:

It's probably not a river like you're thinking of, it's deep and very slow moving.

I find it hard to focus on starlights (I tried the other night.) After a while I can't tell if they're moving or not, which is why I normally go for a feeder with the isotopes on the quiver but it can get a bit boring.

I know the pole would be the best method but was just unsure of the light spooking the fish.

HB.

Howard 13:

Hi Chris,

Howard 13:

It's probably not a river like you're thinking of, it's deep and very slow moving.

I find it hard to focus on starlights (I tried the other night.) After a while I can't tell if they're moving or not, which is why I normally go for a feeder with the isotopes on the quiver but it can get a bit boring.

I know the pole would be the best method but was just unsure of the light spooking the fish.

HB.

Well good luck and let us know if the light does spoke the fish :) ,as i've allways thought that it would. :)

If you're fishing near the bottom, I doubt the light will reach that far.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

go for it boy, i think a torch beam will be ok, dont flash it about to much thou.know what you mean about starlights,have you tried one of them floats with the batteries in, they are not as bright as starlights

Howard 13:

I've had the same problem when waggler fishing at night, the isotope just seems to be moving all the time. I solved this by taping a second isotope to the tip of my rod, then raising the tip so the two isotopes were seen to be close together. Having the second isotope there seems to cancel what is in effect an optical illusion.

To get back to your original question, I would not shine any light onto your float for fear of spooking the fish. However, RossMc's post makes sense if you have to use a torch.

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.