worms with barbless

DMCA

Hello everybody...I've been lurking around the forum on and off for some time without being able to think of anything sensible to say or ask. However, something that cropped up when talking to my father after the 16th has sparked me into some sort of action...

He had a succesfull start to the season, catching a bunch of big tench (in the 6-7.5lb range) using lobworm. The thing is that the water has a strict barbless hook rule and he was having some difficulty keeping the worm on the hook. I think in the end he used a very small boilie or atleast some form of paste to keep the worm attached. Anyway, this method is hardly satisfactory and I said I would see if I get some better suggestions from Angler's Net.

So...I wondered what you think is the best way to keep a large lobworm on a barbless hook. And thanks in advance for any replies...

I have good luck with a little piece snipped off a soft plastic lure and put on after the worm and pushed on just far enough to clear the hook point. The rubber grips the hook well but doesn't seem to get in the way of a hook set.

I have also on occasion pushed part of the lob up over the eye of the hook onto the line. They stay well that way.

But both the above are with US fish. The UK ones may not like my foreign methods. :)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

DMCA,Newt&Ferret,

The use of a worm hook with the barb cut/filed off should work very well in this situation. They are available in all sizes with varied shank lengths. Newt, you have them available to you more readily available than here, but we have them also. The use of a small styrofoam beeds works well also, but the lift that it will give the bait must be considered. If you are bottom fishing this great, but when float fishing it will lift your worm into the suspended line. Try your LUCK at each and let us all know the results. :)

[ 19 June 2002, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: HOPPY4 ]

HOPPY

HOPPY4:

If you are bottom fishing this great, but when float fishing it will lift your worm into the suspended line.)

Good point, Hoppy. The answer here is to fish well overdepth so that the line comes off the bottom at an angle.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I have some hooks with a bump rather than a barp, stops the worms coming off as easily though and not a fiddley as a piece of rubber band on smaller hooks...for the life of me I can't remember whose hooks they are.and they're at home whilst I'm at work, sorry.

used to use a maggot etc as scoobs suggests, worked well, like the styrofoam idea as will act as a popup I guess?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hey..thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll pass on your suggestions. Any further suggestions will of course continue to be gratefully received...

All the best for the new season..

duncan