Spinning

dave_H1

Dave Hunter,

In the US I cannot tell you how important it is to use LIMP line. Expecially in cold water or in cold in general. It saves a lot of time and exaspraition. The reel shoulder should be a little higher (less line) than usual. Long casts are not generally a priority.

Phone

Dave,

You have posted a question about how to catch trout by a coarse fishing method. Why don`t you learn to fly fish and catch them properly. Spinning for trout? I mean really!

Trout Snob..OP -JB

• 2 weeks later...

Mepps Aglia Decoree or Comet with Red spots on Gold.Use a size 1 or a 0 on 3-4 Lb line on an 8 Ft.light spinning rod.Try casting from the bottom of a run as well as from the top.Only a Mepp will rotate when drawn with the current.Cheap imtations fail in this direction and stop rotating.Also try casting across likely runs and dont ever think "that bit of water is too shallow or too small".As long as there is more than 4 inches of water and it moves there is a chance there will be a "Wee Broonie" there.Keep a constant motion on the lure and keep the rod fairly still on the retrieve.Change speeds with the reel...dont sink and draw or anything Perchy or pedunkle

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

First off, nobody will believe you're trout fishing if your fishing the backswims with a 7 inch plug.

Assuming that you're after trout, a small mepps or rooster tail is the way to go.

Make sure the hooks are needle sharp and use fireline or similar to improve the hookuk ratio.

Casting upstream and drawing back is more effective than casting down and allows you to walk upstream along the river bed without spooking fish.

Trout are great fun but there's not many of them unless you have access to a stocked river and they're delecate things so it's worth considering a change to barbless and/or single hooks, they also go off pretty quick so if you catch one at the start of a four hour session and kill it, it wont be fit to eat by the time you get home so catch and release is the way to go - especially if you read up on toxin accumilation in slow growing pedators.

On the subjest of single hooks, does anybody know a source of singles with eyes big enough for a split ring ? I'm looking fo sizes 10 to 4.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

On the subjest of single hooks, does anybody know a source of singles with eyes big enough for a split ring ? I'm looking fo sizes 10 to 4.

You might find trailer hooks for spinnerbaits that small. They've got oversized eyes to fit over the hook which is built into spinnerbaits. A loop eyed salmon hook might do as well.

Tim