Cheap Lifejackets

Elton

I know this has nothing to do with angling per se, but I just read this line:

Neither of the fishermen had lifejackets because they could not afford them.

It was from this article:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/loc...p-15017790.html

Please feel free to post links to any genuine cheap lifejacket outlet that you know of. If just one person buys a lifejacket as a result, it will be worth it. It seems such a shame that a young man lost his life because of a simple piece of equipment.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have my own boat but never put to sea without wearing my LIFEJACKET ( highlighted to show difference between lifejacket and bouyancy aid)

I have 4 self inflating gas powered lifejackets with the manual pull cord and I insist everyone wears one if they come out in my boat, its a matter of common sense, I don't want to lose anyone to the sea and I don't wany anyone else or my son if we're just fishing together to have to come home on his own with me lost somewhere on the bottom

Most moan first time about them being uncomfortable or not being used to them but after using them for a few minutes then they don't even know they've got them on and once used they out them on without argument second time out

I bought 4 for £160 locally and can't understand how when you consider how cheap they are compared to other items of tackle , how many anglers won't either buy one or wear one

Even if a boat carries them they're no good in a locker or under a bunk because when you really need them you won't have time to put them on

Please feel free to post links to any genuine cheap lifejacket outlet that you know of. If just one person buys a lifejacket as a result, it will be worth it. It seems such a shame that a young man lost his life because of a simple piece of equipment.

Excellent idea Elton, maybe you could consider making this one a sticky and it may save someones life. I completely agree with everything Brian says in his response to your post. The link below is to an excellent outfit who supply lifejackets among other things which may be of interest to member of the site. They offer a very helpful and friendly service.

http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/

I use a Baltic Flyfisher automatic lifejacket when fishing from non charter boats. I also frequently use this when wading especially on rivers I don't know and ones I do that are coloured or higher than normal.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I have my own boat but never put to sea without wearing my LIFEJACKET ( highlighted to show difference between lifejacket and bouyancy aid)

I have 4 self inflating gas powered lifejackets with the manual pull cord and I insist everyone wears one if they come out in my boat, its a matter of common sense, I don't want to lose anyone to the sea and I don't wany anyone else or my son if we're just fishing together to have to come home on his own with me lost somewhere on the bottom

Most moan first time about them being uncomfortable or not being used to them but after using them for a few minutes then they don't even know they've got them on and once used they out them on without argument second time out

I bought 4 for £160 locally and can't understand how when you consider how cheap they are compared to other items of tackle , how many anglers won't either buy one or wear one

Even if a boat carries them they're no good in a locker or under a bunk because when you really need them you won't have time to put them on

Brian out of interest are they 150nwtn ones as mine are and i have been thinking i really ought to upgrade to 275 nwtn ones Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Brian out of interest are they 150nwtn ones as mine are and i have been thinking i really ought to upgrade to 275 nwtn ones Steve.

Hi Steve, the 150 newton ones are what is mandatory for the fishing industry and will support a fully clothed adult - the right way up and face clear of the water. Automatic inflation ones are best just incase you enter the water while unconcious after and accident.

275 newton ones are what are worn by the rescue services such as the RNLI, they give better flotation and have the added advantage of a face screen - poly hood type of thing which prevents water ingress through waves or splashes.

If affordability is not an issue you are best to upgrade to the best ones you can afford.

Shaun

• 5 months later...

A sad artical indeed, but I would say that the poor chap involved had it so wrong it cost him his life.

The fact of the matter is in my humble opinion the fact that he could not afford a life jacket was the total reverse of what should be the case, one cannt infact afford not to have a life jacket, to put such a low value on ones own life is fool hardy to say the least.

One can hear anglers make the excuse, " I don't need to buy one, the Charter boat I use has them on board" well I am bound to say

If it isn't on your back it is of no earthy use If you slip and go over board, lots of emergancy situations happen so quickly the isuing and donning the boats life jackets is to late, so I feel it is incumbant upon EVERY individual to be responsable for his or her own safety and don't leave it to the skipper or the mate whose boat you are having a day on, worse case sinario, do you want any of these people to have to contact your nearest and dearest and explane why you did'nt return from sea.

Paddy W

These guys were very very lucky ....about as stupid as it gets

http://newslite.tv/2011/05/03/drunk-men-re...om-english.html

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Whilst on the subject, is there anyone out there can advise me / point me in the right direction of some sort of jacket etc that would be appropriate for a very young child?

I've got a strappin' little boy, just short of 2 and a half years old, who doesn't swim (yet!) In a month or so the plan is to be afloat with him and mum in a decent quality inflatable, in good weather, almost certainly on still / static stretches of rivers or lakes ... probably very rarely more than 30 / 40 metres from bankside, most times much less.

Under any normal circumstances, I can swim like the proverbial fish, so the main issue here is likely making sure the little beggar stays floating and head-up until I get to him, likely within seconds, IF he gets a little too well-acquainted with the wet stuff ... which, like most little boys, he loves :D

Price-wise it's a trade-off between keeping him safe, which naturally outweighs any other consideration, and the reality that it'll see maybe 3 months of use before being outgrown by next year. I'm guessing comfort (for him) has also got to play a part, as unless wearing it is part of the 'fun' for him, practicality is likely to be very limited.

Has anyone any ideas or thoughts, preferably based on experience ... apart from keeping him on dry land? :D