Those nasty,nasty Pike.....gimme a break

Andy Macfarlane

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough Danny, although I'm surprised that jerkbaiters, (I bet they don't dare to describe themselves by that name to non-anglers), use line far in excess of the fairly standard 15 lb bs employed in deadbaiting. Unless they always use very heavy braid, heavy mono is quite unsuitable for the continual casting of lures, and in any case, I would think a deadbaiter is just as likely to use braid as a lure angler.

It's not jerk baits themselves that I object to, it's the unacceptably barbaric hooks that seem to be supplied with them as standard. Presumably, these are imported from countries where fish conservation is regarded as of no importance. If people remove them, and replace them with smaller, micro-barbed hooks then there is no issue. If people claim that the baits won't work with smaller hooks, a claim that I find incredibly dubious, then they just shouldn't be using such damaging lures.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Nightwing:

Pike are also often kept for the table, particularly encouraged in waters where they are overcrowded and stunted.

er, Nightwing, you usually only get lots of little pike when nature is trying to make up numbers to replace bigger pike that have been killed.

see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon14.htm

Or is there some other factor at work over there?(like what happens when pike aren't the top predator, on muskie waters wher pike don't get much chance to grow big).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Peter here is a thread from 2000, I think it outlines a few points that might help.

Dan

http://anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=000822

In answer to your line question, lines of 100lb are common, to get lures back and generally deal with the multiple casts.

Also this normally stops all crack off problems.

I don't think, that Jerkbaiters create the force that a sea anglers creates with pendulum cast and 4-8 oz lead, but I'm pretty sure they don't use 100lb line, so Hitting swans is something I haven't seen in quite a few years, having witnessed tens of thousands of casts

Finally I myself being a lazy sod tend not to take the J.Bs out much, so I hope I'm being as objective as I can hope to be, My passions are more Rubber now!!

Micro light/ Jerkbaiting /Topwater/Twitched minnows/Crankbait/buzzbait/spinnerbait/spinner etc, etc are all just tools for different situations, I know of one resi where you can't buy a bite unless you use very small or very large lures.

-And yes Jerkbaiters/Crack offs and Rubber are things that cannot be discussed in public without eyes being raised.

[ 06 April 2002, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Danny H ]

Leon, your theory makes sense, however the thing is that pike are not a particularly popular food fish here, and often the lakes with the stunted fish also have the lowest keep-rates.

So, I think something else is at fault here, besides over-harvest.

Pike are kept, as I mentioned, not as often as other predators, yet they seem the most likely of any to run to "stunted".

Strange.

Our DNR has placed some lakes into special regulation, increasing the size limit to see if that helps, but to date, it has had no effect. Because few fish were being taken under either set of regulations, little effect was seen, and the overall population in these lakes has remained relatively unchanged in average size.

If these "stunded" lakes were suffering from large amounts of fish being kept and killed(particularly large fish), I could see your point, but when few fish are being taken, something else must be afoot.

Now, in the lakes where the fish ran to being stunted, and all size or creel limits were removed, the fish tend to get larger after a few years! This has encouraged the DNR to go this rout with the stunted lakes.

Again, given your findings, these are also strange in that they run quite the opposite.

Maybe it all has to do with there being so many other predator species on our waters?

I often find it strange that the countries that have what UK anglers would call the 'worst' records at fish handling / killing seem to have rivers that contain a lot more fish that ours.

I think most UK anglers would agree that fishing in USA, france, spain, scandinavia and even Germany can be a lot better than here. I was looking at the shoals of chub and dace in the Neckar at Tubingen just a few weeks ago thinking its ages since I saw anything like that back home.

Quote..Do you have small perch family fish called ruffs?

The old mauve eye...never thought it would taste that great....how come these are hardly ever mentioned in coarse fishing circle and does anyone know if there is a record weight for this species ???

John "The Block" Westley

John 'BLOCK':

The old mauve eye...never thought it would taste that great....how come these are hardly ever mentioned in coarse fishing circle and does anyone know if there is a record weight for this species ???

We certainly have ruffe in the Medway. Small perch like fish that take a small hook baited with maggot down deep, rarely hooked in the mouth :( This, together their small size have not made them a popular coarse species)

Another name for them is pope.

When catholics were going through a period of unpopularity in England's history, the poor ruffe suffered.

Their dorsal spines were embedded into a cork, and the unfortunate creature left to bob around, to great mirth and merriment.

(This was before even my time, I hasten to add)

The appearance of ruffe in waters not previously colonised by them has been blamed upon live-baiters, which is stange because ruffe are universally reckoned to be at the bottem of the list for preferred live-bait species. However the ruffes' appearance has been used as part of the argument to ban the practice of live-baiting on some waters.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 09 April 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

John 'BLOCK':

I've caught a couple in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, but they are few and far between :(

As far as I know, the record stands at 5oz 4dm, caught in Cumbria.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

In reply to the question to the ruff record weight all I know is that the Latvian record is 165g wich is guite tiny. I have seen lots of these fish hoked in the mouth.

[ 09 April 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: M.K ]