My E-Mail To The Environment Agency

larsagi2010

Due to loads of local people not purchasing Rod licences I decided to send the following e-mail.

My E-Mail:

I am located in Cheshire and have been fishing this area for no less than 12 years. I have always had a license with me when fishing, however I am starting to doubt the reasons for purchasing such an expensive piece of card!

All I ever seem to see over recent years is Anglers fishing with no rod licenses at all. In my 12 years of fishing (Shropshire Union Canal, Lower Ridge Fisheries, River Dee and more) I have never yet saw a bailiff on the banks! Its no wonder so many people are not purchasing Rod Licences as the bailiffs are so rare they can get away with it in this area.

I have always purchased my License knowing that my money is benefiting the surrounding bodies of water, and the life they sustain..... I don't mind that at all!

However, of 27 anglers last week I and 2 others were the only ones who had purchased a license... Next year I assume the price will rise again?? Me and my partner will spend between £50-£60 while they once again get away with it and laugh at me for ''Funding the baillifs christmas party''

Do people ever patrol the waters any more? or are they any plans to start introducing more bailiffs to the waters around Cheshire??

I am more than happy to support the E.A in capturing some of these illegal anglers by any means possible, as it is unfair to myself as a paying angler, and others who stay on the correct side of the law.

The E.A response

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your e-mail regarding rod licences.

Annually we check around 160,000 rod licences. That means, on average, every 3 minutes an angler gets their licence checked. We target these checks to catch the greatest number of evaders.

Where you fish will influence how often you see a fisheries bailiff. We spend our resources wisely and target the waters where there is the highest rod licence evasion. All waters are visited at least once a year and where we receive reports of unlicensed fishing the number of patrols are stepped up.

If you fish in club waters you are less likely to have your licence checked, as many clubs will insist on seeing a current licence before issuing membership. This practice is less usual at day ticket waters and subsequently they will be patrolled more often.

Please report illegal fishing to our 24 hour freephone hotline on 0800 80 70 60. This hotline is open 24 hours a day and can deal with your report straight away. You can remain anonymous if you so wish.

The maximum possible fine for fishing without a licence is £2,500, although the exact amount will be decided by the magistrates.

I trust this information is of use to you.

If you have any further queries do let us know, as we would be happy to help.

Does anyone know how accurate this response really is? In particular the ''All waters are visited at least once a year'' statement.

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry cant answer for the EA but in all the years I have fished I have never had my rod license checked and I have fished all over the country and often at day ticket waters.

To put it another way in 58 years/seasons I have never been asked to show my rod license nor have I seen a bailiff.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I have never been asked to show my rod license nor have I seen a bailiff.

Me neither. I used to fish day ticket waters an awful lot too. It is little wonder that people just ignore the rules and fish anyway. And then when one does randomly get caught it is a big deal. Tha £2500 fine makes me laugh too. When did anyone ever receive that? Most I have seen have been £250.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I've fished lots of club waters over the years and I've never been asked to show my rod licence before being sold the ticket.

I saw an EA patrol boat on the Thames last weekend - we waved to each other and he just carried on. Maybe that counts as having 'visited the water'? :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I seem to get my licence checked quiet alot but only when fishing Carp waters. To me it looks like they only check up on Carp Anglers. I have seen them doing the rounds and walking past pleasure anglers with out a glance as they march towards the first multiple rod set up they can see. Are they interested in catching all licence dodgers. I doubt it, but if you check the Carpers are they likely to do a runner and leave behind all their expensive stuff. I think they get checked just in case they have 1 licence but 3 rods out. A nice easy nab and most likely can afford to pay a fine. I don't think they check licences to catch offenders, they check to hand out fines to easy targets.

Why chase a load of poachers down the river and risk attack? Many poachers will not mind dumping there Aldi rod if need be and so will be a lot harder to catch. Much better to take a stroll up to a Carp Angler and get him without much effort. I doubt everyone with 3 rods out has 2 licences, an easy catch.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Maybe I look a little shifty and the EA target me. Or maybe I'm on some list of anglers who are just so good the EA feel obliged to hassle and distract me to make it fair to lesser mortals :D

Last year the EA bailiffs were running out of space to sign on my two licences. It it was interesting to see some of their faces when I passed over a licence and they often seemed stunned to see it had been inspected and signed before.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I've fished lots of club waters over the years and I've never been asked to show my rod licence before being sold the ticket.

I saw an EA patrol boat on the Thames last weekend - we waved to each other and he just carried on. Maybe that counts as having 'visited the water'? :rolleyes:

Funny you should say that about clubs I belong to quite a few clubs seven or eight and all have wanted to see my rod license before I have been given membership.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

2 of my mates have been fishing the Ribble over the last 2 years and they've only done a handful of weekenders and each time, they've had their licenses checked.

I plan to have a go next year and when I think of the barbel and chub they've caught, I'd rather be on the right side of the law methinks. They told me the stretch they fish is frequented by lots of Salmon anglers, so that's probably why it's regularly visited.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

2 of my mates have been fishing the Ribble over the last 2 years and they've only done a handful of weekenders and each time, they've had their licenses checked.

I plan to have a go next year and when I think of the barbel and chub they've caught, I'd rather be on the right side of the law methinks. They told me the stretch they fish is frequented by lots of Salmon anglers, so that's probably why it's regularly visited.

I get the feeling they have certain venues they visit a lot and all the rest get ignored.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007