Swingtip Revival

Elton

If you over head cast its easy to tangle but a gentle side cast causes no problems. As for rods they certainly arnt as easy to find as they used to be as a soft through action of arond 9' is best. However replacing an end eye for one with a screw in adapter is a couple of minutes job.

That Daiwa 10' fibreglass ledger rod I refurbished earlier in the year was/is perfect for swing tipping. I could never figure out why Daiwa didn't fit a threaded tip ring, I had to do it myself. I tried it with a quiver tip as well but bite indication didn't seem as good, perhaps the blank was too soft to allow the quivertip to do its job?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the typical swingtip sidecast is certainly something you get used to and can become accurate.

Because its important to have a smooth action to avoid tip tangling it helps you get used to casting with softbaits.

The other great thing is fishing small rivers/streams its great for casting along the river. The accuracy you learn enables you to put a bait in those hard to reach places.

John

• 3 weeks later...

My first day out of the house as I get over a dose of the swine flu.

In my nearest tackle shop what do I see all shiny and new hanging on the dispay.

Brand New Drennan swingtips

plus

Brand New Middy Butt fixing Swingtips

Now is that a coincidence or what...hehehe

I've not seen them in a shop for years.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

This may be a forgetful old twit muttering into his beard, but I seem to recall that casting tangles could be controlled by keeping a bit of tension in the line at all times.

This obviously limits casting range, but I seem to remember lobbing "Emstat" feeders using a closed-face reel, and none too wonderful a specimen at that: the little Shakespeare Match International, IIRC. that little bit of friction seemed to make it easier.

Rods were slow: a Mk IV Avon or an Alan Brown "Chevin" - the latter had a test curve of 12oz, and casting was a very gentle matter of winding up the rod then holding it pointing 45 degrees skyward above the target while it thought about it, then slowly straightened out and magicked the feeder into the place I was thinking of. Sort of. Sometimes.

Probably a case of 20:20 hindsight through rose-coloured glasses, but possibly worth a go if you've a closed-face lying about...

This may be a forgetful old twit muttering into his beard, but I seem to recall that casting tangles could be controlled by keeping a bit of tension in the line at all times.

This obviously limits casting range, but I seem to remember lobbing "Emstat" feeders using a closed-face reel, and none too wonderful a specimen at that: the little Shakespeare Match International, IIRC. that little bit of friction seemed to make it easier.

Rods were slow: a Mk IV Avon or an Alan Brown "Chevin" - the latter had a test curve of 12oz, and casting was a very gentle matter of winding up the rod then holding it pointing 45 degrees skyward above the target while it thought about it, then slowly straightened out and magicked the feeder into the place I was thinking of. Sort of. Sometimes.

Probably a case of 20:20 hindsight through rose-coloured glasses, but possibly worth a go if you've a closed-face lying about...

Ive got abu 501s and 506 507s and 505 with the red body , ive collected them over the years and reconditioned them

i still use the 507 on certain silverfish venues and theres nothing today that can match it , ive tried the newer daiwa 125m reel and it was rubbish , just no feel to it and made very poorly and sounded awfull.

Ive just made a swingtip rod and i will try it with 1 of the abu's , it makes sense grumpalot so thanks for the advice :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wondering how the swing tip production was going anyone made and tried them out yet?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God