My New Fishing Wagon

Elton

I know Steve Burke likes his AWD Volvos, but when you're skint, they're just a dream.

However, I think I did okay the other day. I bought a 1997 R-plate Subaru Legacy Estate 2.0l petrol for the princely sum of £521.

It's an all-wheel-drive model, with a low gear option, just like a big 4x4. It's done 77,000 miles and has a twin electric towbar fitted.

Obviously, it's been towing a caravan (the towbar and Eurocamp sticker are a dead giveaway!), but that's what these things are built for.

The car itself is basic - no electric windows, aircon and the like. However, it seems to drive okay, is reasonably pokey and, being AWD, sticks to the road like glue.

I missed my old van, so having the option* of folding down the back seats is fantastic. It did a run to the council dump the first day I had it!

I reckon it's a great fishing wagon. Loads of space, cheap enough to not worry about getting it scratched, 4wd for when it's a bit muddy and it will tow my boat, if I ever get it seaworthy.

I quite like it :D

32fa_1.JPG

* I say 'option', but the seats got folded down as soon as I bought it and have stayed like that since. I don't d'do' passengers :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh Subaru :D

as i recall all Subaru's are 4wd as well as all having lateral engines. Instead of the pistons going up and down they go left to right. Lowers COG don't cha no.

certainly looks like it'll be a fine fishing chariot Elton. and even if it gives up the ghost after a couple of years its still been a good buy.

as i recall all Subaru's are 4wd as well as all having lateral engines. Instead of the pistons going up and down they go left to right. Lowers COG don't cha no.

certainly looks like it'll be a fine fishing chariot Elton. and even if it gives up the ghost after a couple of years its still been a good buy.

A couple of years? I'll have wrecked it by then - give me some credit! :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

That's the one, good old boxer engines, pretty reliable if looked after as well.

Looks like a perfect fishing wagon

Does it have Sat Nav, a good alarm clock and a first aid kit?

No, but I do :D

That's a handy link. Cheers, Jon.

Next purchase will be a cheap trailer. No rush, so a daily visit to Ebay... :)

volvo's cost as much as you want to pay for them ,my 240 cost nothing ,spend £150 putting in parts for the mot ,big big car (bigger than new volvo estates).

only 266 thou on clock ,unfortunately its a four speed box but easily upgraded to a five if i stumble across one.

draw dropping turning circle (amazes me i can turn round corners sharper than in the golf).

at only 19 years old its my newest car yet ,and surprisingly back then it was designed with a 19 year life rather than the 5 nowadays :o

were not talking fast but it has grunt where its needed and being a carb version (carb ? wassat say our younger members) can be played with by amateurs like me without having to plug something in for the car to give me a hint whats wrong with it like these over complicated new ones.

it would have been cheaper to put a towbar on the golf but its rear shoe brakes meant its braking ability and its weight would make towing edge of seat!!!

theres some laws that you should remember when buying a trailer.

your car must have a trailer indicator beeper that beeps when your trailer indicators are working ,if not it can be fitted.i find this a very strange bit of logic its far easier to get used to a sound then not hear it than a sound that suddenly appears telling you an indicator bulb has blown ,typical eu thinking i expect :wacko:

if its unbraked then it must have a securing chain/wire that cannot break and is short enough not to let the trailer hitch hit the road if it comes off the ball.

if its braked then it must have a cable that applies the brakes then snaps

there two versions of cable fixings as well (its not really good practice to just put a cable over your towball nowadays) one is a hefty lump of metal that can be used by either methods the other is a "spring " type that can only be used on a snapping setup,police do check you have the correct fittings very often especially at council dumps and spring hits on tow cars going camping.

when buying a trailer check the "A" frame for rust ,the rest is fine as its easy to rebuild them ,and renew the wheelbearings anyway ,check it has a spare wheel.

Alko is the best frame and hitch maker.

if its a very old trailer put a new hitch on! whilst 2" hitches look fine on 50mm balls they have a habit of falling off!!!

some modern hitches have friction pads built in ,dont grease your towball until you find out if it does ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson