Dead Zander/Walleye

HOPPY4

Does anyone have ideas as to why a 12/15lb. Zander would be belly up with a stomach/belly full of eggs? We were at the lake on yesterday and discovered this beautiful fish and it hurt. The 3 of us were trying to think of some reason that a fish seemingly to be this healthy would be dead. The season for them will not begin until 1 May and it did not show signs of injury at any point on it's body. We were wishing that we had the oppertunity to catch a fish of this size as it would have been a RUSH!!!

HOPPY

Just curiosity Hoppy, I see you are in the US forces in Germany. The US appears to be going over to catch & release, especially with trophy sized fish; whilst, as I understand it, Germany is now catch & kill.

It saddened you to see this magnificent fish laying dead in the margin. But, had you caught it, supposedly you would have had to have killed it in order to have stayed legal.

So, now I'm putting you on a spot!! This is not a morality type question, more a culture thing. What would you have done if you had caught it?

In the UK big fish are attaining an almost regal status. Kill a big fish & you are dead meat!!! Especially if its a carp!!

We won't lynch you, whatever the answer! Just interested, cheers!

A fish that size must be a oldish fish so it could simply be that the pressure of getting ready to spawn or the actual spawning itself was just too much for it. Spawning is a stressful time for fish and it often weeds out those that aren't quite up to it any more. (much like humans really :D )

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Peter,

From a cultural view MOST US anglers would disobey the law. Within the last 5 years several states have recended their "no carp back" laws. I'm not sure but what we still may have a couple. Many US anglers were born at night - just not last night.

Phone

Peter Waller,

I have said in the past that I am a person that eats fish. Now, I admit that this fish would have been a treat to catch and I would have also kept it. I will from time to time keep a fish for the table. This is one of the best eating fish that I know and it would have been taken home. I do practice Catch and Release and 90% of the fish that I catch are released. Carp are not taken unless they have been specifically requested by someone as a favor. This is not often nor is it a request that I take litely. If so, the neighbors that I have would be Happy. They have come to know that this is a HOBBY and I am not trying to place food on the table with this sport. If I have made some of you feel that I am a backwards Neanderthal then so be it, but I am being honest. The reason that it HURT so Bad was the fact that such a magnificent fish was gone and it's had not been taken as a result of our SPORT. I have Enjoyed immensely watching other anglers play a fish that has taken the bait and worked to get free. This to me is at times as much fun as catching myself. Yet to have the fish on my line and feel the turns and runs that it is making to get free is a RUSH as I said on the original post. As the season will open tomorrow, I look forward to catching some of these beauties and I will bring at least one home, but the majority will be released to fight again.

:)

[ 30 April 2002, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: HOPPY4 ]

HOPPY

davidP,

It is possible that you are RIGHT and it had been too much for the OLD GIRL! We were speculating as to the possibilities and that was a thought. To be Honest, I am considered an oddity as I do release my fish. This one made us all cringe as we were wishing. :D

HOPPY

I would do what i wanted...if thought it would go back then so be it...if i were to eat it then yes i would take it.If nature takes care of it then who am i to mess with this !!

No law is going to make me commit a murder on an animal....if it were spreading a terible disease then out of interests of nature then i would "CULL IT" this being the only time would mess with nature....no law should force me kill anything !!

Besides you only have to take a look at our oceans to realise its about time someone made clear what should be saved and what shouldn't !!

John "The Block" Westley

Hi Hoppy, thanks for your honesty. I respect you for it, I also tend to agree with you. That said, the last time I killed a freshwater fish for the table was over 40 years ago! Its not something that I do myself but its a right that I have, and wish to keep. Rather like livebaiting I suppose. Hope your new season goes well.