Anglers Seek Action on Cormorants to Save Rural Businesses

Anglers' Net

I believe that something has to be done to control the cormorants feeding in freshwater.

Its not just the commercial fisheries that suffer, most of our rivers and streams are being denuded by the uncontrolled predation.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I believe that something has to be done to control the cormorants feeding in freshwater.

Its not just the commercial fisheries that suffer, most of our rivers and streams are being denuded by the uncontrolled predation.

Oh dear, we haven't descended to the 'Go-fishing' style 'kill all native predators (as long as they're not fish)' type argument again have we? :wallbash:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Oh dear, we haven't descended to the 'Go-fishing' style 'kill all native predators (as long as they're not fish)' type argument again have we? :wallbash:

I am not advocating "kill all", I am advocating "control".

The cormorant is basically a sea bird and was once vary rarely seen inland.

The dwindling fish stocks around our coasts and estuaries have been blamed for them moving on to freshwaters, but I do not consider them a "natural" predator of freshwater fish.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

The dwindling fish stocks around our coasts and estuaries have been blamed for them moving on to freshwaters, but I do not consider them a "natural" predator of freshwater fish.

The supposed dwindling sea stocks have been blamed, but is that the reason why they are now seen more inland than they used to be? I find it hard to believe that with the unprecedented numbers of school bass in our inshore waters and estuaries, plus the massive herring and sprat shoals, not to mention juvenile mullet and other sea fish, that the cormorants have come inland because they can't find anything to eat in the sea. You don't suppose it has anything to do with the ever increasing number of commercial waters providing easy picking, encouraging them inland in the first instance?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

The myth that the cormorant is a seabird has been spread by anglers for quite a few years now. Search recent threads on the subject, or google Greater cormorant sub-species. They are native and valid freshwater fish predators.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!