how would you tackle this.

John Ellison

I live near a 72 acre former gravel pit. Council run, so everythings barred. It's gin clear, has weed growing from the bottom 2 to 3ft high (milfoil type) and untill the arrival of 100 plus cormorants 7 years ago, was full of quality roach.

If you cast a feeder out, you cannot twitch it back or your hook will become coated in weed.

Very few anglers fish it because you can sit for hours and hours without a bite. Pikers fish it and the fish they catch are all long and thin.

The last attempt at a match there, 20 fished and 1 perch was caught.

I know there are good bream in there and also good perch, the odd tench.

I've been noticing recently in the press that specimen anglers introduce much more bait into a swim than say I would via a swimfeeder. I was wondering if a pre-baiting programme would be of benefit. I think some kind of worm attack would be the best way in veiw of the species I know haven't been eaten.Theres a long shallow shelf and then 12 - 13 ft of water. What do you think?

Eeeeeeee older I get the better I was.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Fishing is hard enough without the added problem of a difficult water. You could spend all season trying different things on that water and not catch a thing. A water that size and deep needs a lot of hard work,all the features need to be found and then you need to bait them up with lots of bait and i mean alot of bait. I personaly would leave it well alone

Paul

Ask the pikers where they caught the pike and start from there. Walk the water as often as you can. Buy an air rifle and assist the cormorants in relocating. As far as I'm aware the black sh1te only fish in daylight so you would be better fishing at night. Fish wobbled sprats where the cormorants are and assume that every one you catch is in agony and kill it to put it out of its misery.

Have fun.

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

John,take no notice of the last two comments.God,I thought fishing was all about a challenge.What would be the point if it was easy?

You have decided to have a go and good luck to you.

I would approach the water using simple,old fashioned methods.Firstly,I`d have a go at clearing some of the weed from the margins.Try raking the swim as far as possible up to the ledge.If you prepare a few swims like this and then pre-bait the fish will soon come looking for more.Tench and Bream will love the disturbance and make a move.

I`d also start by using a waggler slightly over depth,a slider or if you fish really close in try the lift method.

John, can you acurately find the drop off to deeper water? If you can then try fishing and baiting at the bottom of the shelf.

Dont go to far out past it.

A rig I have used very succesfully is a slider float set about 4 inches underdepth straight down to a 1 ounce weight. About 12 inches up from the weight tie on a 18 inch hook link. Cast past the ledge and draw back until the float starts to appear.

Fish your other rod just out past the first one.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I would regularly bait marginal areas where you can see. Using hemp, pellets and other small particles. If fish regularly fee in these areas clear patches will soon appear.

One thin about low stocked venues is better quality of fish. It could well be worth the effort.

Singy

Paul Singleton