Groundbait ( dried blood )

DaRoachster

I have recently found an old recipe for a groundbait mix which contains dried blood could any one shed any light on were i might be able to get this ingredient from or has any one used it for groundbait mixes before and does it work. Any suggestions greatfully recieved. :D

it used to be sold as a fertiliser ,probably best to forget using it though for a couple of reasons a) once wet (even hand moisture) and it stinks like hell and stains your hands B) its not at the moment safe to use the stuff ,you just dont know where it came from (besides animals ) even drying it cannot prevent naughty bacteria or viri infesting it ,bse is almost indistructable it can survive steaming and roasting even bone meal is suspect

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yep

My dad used to it, but that was a long time ago. better to forget it though, for all the reasons Chester1 stated. I can't remember if it was any good or not, but the old chap was no fool and if he used it it must have been some good.

I believe that the old time barbel anglers used to use fresh pig's blood collected from slaughterhouses, and if you can use use that, you need a stronger stomach than mine!

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

You can buy bloadmeal (Or somthing to that spelling) from the tackle shops to add to your groand bait, it's the same thing as dried blood but safer, if you get blood from somewhere like the butchers you dont know what diseases u might catch, The bloadmeal is suposed to be good for teach but eels absolutly adore it.

chester1 had it right about BSE

From an article by the World Health Organization

BSE - BOVINE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY

The agent is highly stable, resisting freezing, drying and heating at normal cooking temperatures, even those used for pasteurization and sterilization.

However, we are speaking of ruminant proteins only for BSE. Cattle, sheep, goats, etc.

And you aren't likely to see any problem products on the market because (from the above and several other articles)

quote:

Measures Taken to Prevent the Spread of BSE

In July 1988, the UK banned the use of ruminant proteins in the preparation of animal feed. The use in the food chain of bovine offals considered to pose a potential risk to humans was also banned in the UK in 1989.......

But wait - there is more. From Guardian Unlimited in March this year -

quote:

Scientists want farmed fish checked for BSE-like diseases - a move that could provoke strong opposition within the industry and heighten concerns that the battle against the threat of killer diseases from food may be going too far. .........

The use of fish meal in feed for cattle, sheep and deer has already been banned within the EU as a precaution against cross-contamination on farms or in factories with infected animal protein, a move that has sparked fierce protests among feed manufacturers. A ban on any mammalian meat and bone meal from farm animals being fed to fish has been in place in Britain since 1996.....

My guess from the above and similar articles is if you can buy blood, it is from a safe source and should be fine to use.

And personally, I like adding it to some baits.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

word is that maggie thatcher used to use dried blood when she went fishing .... nuff said!

We don't want any more mad cows around ....

all in the best passible taste

no offence meant ...... much!

Why make life difficult for yourself

There's loads of other ace stuff to use

and then there's liming and hand-grenades when the going gets REALLy tough

Only joking!

The Geezer