Licence renewals......

teebee

I think that's a valid point Jason. Given the number of people I see fishing on rivers during the close season, getting a license probably doesn't even occur to some people. IMO, licensing and enforcement in this country is a bit of a joke.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Can't say I'm suprised by the lapsing numbers.

Chances of getting picked up on a comercial water are slim.

The severn suffered a massive weed kill about five years ago that dramatically reduced invertebrate life and has resulted in a major downturn in the fishing for every speciec other than snail munching barbel. The EA have not so much as acknowledged the problem.

There are Zander in the canals and what do the EA and BWB do to the one worthwhile sportfish in these waterways - yep, they kill em.

Why bother buying a licence when the money raised won't be used to protect or improve the environment and may be utilised to activly destroy your sport ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

There are Zander in the canals and what do the EA and BWB do to the one worthwhile sportfish in these waterways - yep, they kill em.

I didn't realise this was policy. I've been having great sport with zander on lures recently, personally, it would be a great loss if they weren't around anymore.

As you say, zander are a sport fish (in the American sense of the word) and they make a nice change from our indigenous species which I find a little dull at times.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Hello all

Its more likely to be due to the fact that the EA stopped concessionary licences for anyone without a blue disc and people like myself who had two licences can now possibly only afford or justify the one licence.

Not moaning about it btw but that makes more sense to me rather than people stopping fishing

Apparently (the story goes) that the EA netted off and took all the silver fish from our drains around the flats (in East Lincolnshire) to restock a polluted river in Peterborough.

They threw back the Pike, but surely they cannot survive forever unless a the drains have a proper fish based ecosystem...

Never mind as well that I paid my rod licence (and have just as much right to fish my local as people in Peterborough!).

Ian W