Just Started Fishing again - But no one to go fishing with!

mattavich

Alright lads!

New member to the forum here. I’m in the Liverpool area very close to Belle Vale shopping centre in Gateacre. I haven’t been fishing since my dad passed away around 8 years ago but I still have a lot of gear. I’m 24 now.

I am very interested in going fishing weekly however my problem is I don’t have a fishing partner or a car. Looking for people to go fishing with regularly.

Also, this probably sounds stupid but if you don't have a car, how do you get to commercial fisheries?

I'd even pay a taxi if it meant I got to the lake and back but I don't think that's doable! :D

Anyway, can't wait to go now. Cleaning up all my gear.

Can anyone name me some good fisheries around liverpool way? Is Calderstones Park any good?

My favorite is definitely Bannister Farm, been there quite a few times on my own since my dad died when I was younger and had some big carp out of there. Also fell in the lake.

Tried Lathom fisheries but as people say, it's a bit small.

I'm mostly interested in going to commercial fisheries where you won't get your gear robbed or be pestered by kids.

thanks fellas.

When I started back into fishing after years out, it was helpful to me to meet and go fishing with someone who's enthusiam carried us both forward...so I know where your coming from.

A few simple suggestions:

1) go to your local tackle shop and have a chat with the employee's / anglers about fisheries in the area

2) find out about the local fishing clubs and have a chat with their treasurer, chairman etc, most club officials are friendly and helpful

3) when the weather warms up a bit more get a day pass for the bus (or cycle) and visit those fisheries and chat with anglers, weekends probably busier

4) once you join a fishing club you should meet other anglers and you never know, they may live local to you.

5) you dont mention whether or not you can drive but you need to learn if you are serious about fishing and travelling with lots of gear but if you are just fishing local waters, travel very light and walk, cycle, scrounge a lift off a mate, taxi, bus.....whatever it takes....

Alright lads!

New member to the forum here. I’m in the Liverpool area very close to Belle Vale shopping centre in Gateacre. I haven’t been fishing since my dad passed away around 8 years ago but I still have a lot of gear. I’m 24 now.

I am very interested in going fishing weekly however my problem is I don’t have a fishing partner or a car. Looking for people to go fishing with regularly.

Also, this probably sounds stupid but if you don't have a car, how do you get to commercial fisheries?

I'd even pay a taxi if it meant I got to the lake and back but I don't think that's doable! :D

Anyway, can't wait to go now. Cleaning up all my gear.

Can anyone name me some good fisheries around liverpool way? Is Calderstones Park any good?

My favorite is definitely Bannister Farm, been there quite a few times on my own since my dad died when I was younger and had some big carp out of there. Also fell in the lake.

Tried Lathom fisheries but as people say, it's a bit small.

I'm mostly interested in going to commercial fisheries where you won't get your gear robbed or be pestered by kids.

thanks fellas.

Most of the Park Lakes in the City have decent fishing, Calderstones used to be good but they drained it and moved most of the bigger fish to other Parks.

Avoid Sefton Park its too busy. Greenbank Park had a big fish kill in the cold snap, most of the fish died I'm told.

Stanley Park, Walton Hall Park and Newsham Park are all decent mixed fisheries and contain a fair head of Carp to 20lb plus.

There's some good waters around Whiston which are probably closer to you than most of the Liverpool Parks, Halsnead Park can be fished on a day ticket and is well stocked. Good Tench and Bream fishing can be had here in the warmer months and there's also some nice Carp.

There's also the Leeds/Liverpool Canal in the north end which is kept stocked by Liverpool and District Anglers. The River Alt which runs from Croxteth through to Maghull before going out to Sea at Formby has been stocked with Roach and Chub by the EA.

In terms of commercials there's a couple around the Little Crosby/Ince area out towards Formby and another in Haskayne out towards Southport. There's also loads of commercials out on the Wirral and into Cheshire like Hampton Springs - http://hamptonsprings.co.uk/

There's loads of water out Runcorn way and some good club tickets in Lymm Anglers and Warrington Anglers. I'm planning on joining Lymm this season.

Edited by Rob Ward

Most of the Park Lakes in the City have decent fishing, Calderstones used to be good but they drained it and moved most of the bigger fish to other Parks.

Avoid Sefton Park its too busy. Greenbank Park had a big fish kill in the cold snap, most of the fish died I'm told.

Stanley Park, Walton Hall Park and Newsham Park are all decent mixed fisheries and contain a fair head of Carp to 20lb plus.

There's some good waters around Whiston which are probably closer to you than most of the Liverpool Parks, Halsnead Park can be fished on a day ticket and is well stocked. Good Tench and Bream fishing can be had here in the warmer months and there's also some nice Carp.

There's also the Leeds/Liverpool Canal in the north end which is kept stocked by Liverpool and District Anglers. The River Alt which runs from Croxteth through to Maghull before going out to Sea at Formby has been stocked with Roach and Chub by the EA.

In terms of commercials there's a couple around the Little Crosby/Ince area out towards Formby and another in Haskayne out towards Southport. There's also loads of commercials out on the Wirral and into Cheshire like Hampton Springs - http://hamptonsprings.co.uk/

There's loads of water out Runcorn way and some good club tickets in Lymm Anglers and Warrington Anglers. I'm planning on joining Lymm this season.

I just checked Halsnead Park out on Google maps and i'm very close. The other side of the M62. I still don't have a Car so getting there would be a pain on foot. I don't mind paying for a taxi but it would have to be a seven seater taxi van, do you think that would be ok?

I like the look of Halsnead. I prefer commercials because it they are quiet and usually well stocked.

Thanks for the info. Where's the best place for me to buy new tackle online?

I also looked at a few clubs and contacted the Magull club but judging by the response unless I have a car it is a no unfortunately.

I've got loads of gear of my Dads. He spent a lot of money on it so i'm just cleaning it all up now and seeing what I need and don't need. What's the best website to buy tackle from? I used to live right next to Taskers intersport but they're quite expensive in there so thought i'd try online.

tacklebargains.co.uk has a wide selection and good prices plus they are a long time supporter of this forum and help keep it operating. Normally you can find links on most pages of the forum but the affiliate site Elton (site owner) uses has been down for the last couple of days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I also looked at a few clubs and contacted the Magull club but judging by the response unless I have a car it is a no unfortunately.

I've got loads of gear of my Dads. He spent a lot of money on it so i'm just cleaning it all up now and seeing what I need and don't need. What's the best website to buy tackle from? I used to live right next to Taskers intersport but they're quite expensive in there so thought i'd try online.

Taskers will price match online prices, just speak to Cliff the manager.

Maghull Clubs waters are probably a bit far away from you without a car.

tacklebargains.co.uk has a wide selection and good prices plus they are a long time supporter of this forum and help keep it operating. Normally you can find links on most pages of the forum but the affiliate site Elton (site owner) uses has been down for the last couple of days.

I have just brought a new TFG seat box and TFG rodholdall from them as iam just starting up coarse fishing there prices are very good