Alan Branson - river bain

Mally

Hi Mall

yes mate i certainly did give it a go, and i had a really good day.

i started by having a look up the river from the CO-OP in Horncastle, it was quite a walk before i found any fish, i was begining to think there were no fish at all, but then under an overhanging tree i found three large Bream and just a bit further a shoal of small Chub, then a couple of bigger Chub went scooting up river. by this time i was wishing i'd fetched some gear with me but unfortunately i hand'nt planned to go stalking so i gave that stretch a miss for now :rolleyes:

So i drove to Conningsby, i've been meaning to give it a go there for ages, my dad used to take me there when i was a kid, i posted asking if anyone new who controlled that stretch but got no replys. anyway the water level was a lot lower than i remembered but i saw lots of small fish,so out comes the gear & off i went. I walked down to where a small side stream comes in by a fence, there were some overhanging trees & i could see some bigger fish.

I set up a link ledger on my feeder & a stick. For bait i had bread,luncheon meat,worms,maggots & casters. I riddled some of the meat,soaked two slices of bread & mixed them together & threw it in close to the trees & left that for a bit. i set to work on the stick, i caught a small chub first chuck,i kept that up for about an hour then changed to the ledger with a small chunk of l/meat, i missed two or three bites then hooked in to a chub of just over a 1lb. I had six or seven more & two Swans moved up the river and hoovered up all my bait, i was fuming i had to pull my ledger out & just watch them scoff the lot 'GREEDY B******S' :mad: . As they moved off i picked up my stick float & followed them down with it, double caster on a 16 hook, my float had just about caught them up when it went under and nearly pulled my arm out it was a fantastic chub i played it for at least 10 mins & it only just fit in my landing net, 5lbs 4oz my personal best :P

I carried on for another hour catching a few more fish but nothing could better that one so i went home with mixed feelings 1 ellation 2 regrets at not having a bloody camara :D:D

Strangely enough when i switched on my computer the day after that Tyke hed sent me a link to a site that told me about whon owns the fishing rights to that stretch & it appears that i was ok fishing there as i hold a Witham joint book. i was really pleased about this as i would've hated to be poaching :confused: (thanks Mall)

blimey that was a bit longer than i expected, not too long i hope :confused:

Regards Alan

Well after this weekend at Normanby on the seven i will be giving the Bain some serious attention. :D

It sounds like my kind of fishing on small rivers with plenty of chub.

Can you tell me where the day ticket stretch is in Conningsby?

I hope to catch some barbel at normanby as ive never had any on this river before and now i know where they are im keeping my fingers crossed.

• 9 months later...

After reading this (and mallys diary) i really want to fish this river, i took a trip down to check it out around horncastle and coningsby, looks good for roving, gonna give it a go as soon as i can. I fancy stalking some big chub :)

Jan/Feb/March - Chub, Pike & Perch

Cheers mate, from reading one of your earlier posts it looks like your from my neck of the woods, i live in scawby, and my sister lives in winterton, have you ever fished the 2 lakes in scawby?, thats where i've been tenching recently

Jan/Feb/March - Chub, Pike & Perch

James I'm in Winterton.

I havent fished the two in scawby, are you talking about the ones on the left just after you have crossed the motorway? Theres suppsoed to be some big bream in them. I think they were controlled by the club I'm a member of, ISAC (Iron and Steel Angling Club). Not any more though. How have you been doing?

I would suggest joining the club if you like catching tench and or enjoy fishing the Trent. They have a pond at the bottom of Winterton which contains lots of tench to about 6.5lbs, Chub to about 5lbs, Crucians to about 2lbs, and bream to double figures. Also theres rumours of very large perch which are predatory and feed on the large number of small rudd.