Piranha fished from the Thames..!!

Julian

Now that’s what I call predator fishing!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040219/80/emgl2.html

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Official EA Press Release is here:

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/news/articles/310.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Quote from first report :

"The Thames was declared "dead" in the 1960s but, its water cleaned, it is now home to 119 types of fish."

Now I sea, course and game fish but 119 types of fish may just be a little bit on the high side!!!!!!!!

Or have I missed something?

SO now I have read the EA report which also says there are 119 types of fish in the Thames.

I would like to see the list as they must be including alot of sea species that live in the Thames estury such as Tope.

[ 20. February 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I used to have one of them :)

They say it is timid? Whenever our dog walked in front of the tank it (the fish) used to lunge at the glass. The dog soon cottoned on to this fact, and used to sit in front of the tank teasing it :rolleyes:

The one in the Thames is definitely dumped by some aquarist when it got too big for the tank (mine went back to the shop in exchange for something else).

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Back in the early 70s when the Thames was being cleaned up, the authority at the time (I think it was the Thames River Authority) seized on every good-news snippet it could. That included the various fish fry that got trapped in the screens on the cooling inlets for the power stations on the estuary. Thus, anything unusual from trigger fish to bearded rockling to immature brill, turbot, whatever, were all added to the "official" list. I guess the successors have done the same ever since to "prove" that the capital's river is getting cleaner.

If I remember correctly, at the time, coarse fishermen were worried that the return of salmon to the Thames would end up with them being priced off their match stretches as they became salmon beats for the wealthy. Mmmm...

Fenboy

I've still to read the report on this remarkable catch? However, being that i sadly live in Dagenham, i fill its only right i add my comments to this remarkable find!

"Your having a laugh mate"

what's next Moby bloody dick, Still that part of Dagger's your would normally come home with crabs if ya aint careful!!!!

You really might do better to read the piece before making comments. Unusual but possible and even plausible as described there.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President