Caught so soon after stocking ?

Bradford Angler

Last monday lunchtime we stocked a club lake with 200lb of Roach and 250 common orfe to 4 inch . .

talking to an angler today, who had been up on Wendesday with his kids and they were catching them already . . bite a chuck but not connecting . . he then went onto squat and pinkie reduced hook size to a 22 and caught the orfe . . had about 30 of em he said . .

how soon would you expect to catch fish after stocking . . new introduction to my pond dissapear for weeks (stress / unfamiliar surroundings)before showing .. thought it would be the same for coarse fish in to a club pond too . .

anyone got a rule of thumb or add to this ?

I know it is very much dependant on food availability, venue, stocking . . but wondered and does it change for different species ?

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

the club I am with restocked a couple of ponds a few years ago and it took about two months for them to show and they were only small waters.

I believe I read somewhere that restocking of most course fish should only be carried out when water temps rose a bit my club had a meeting a few days ago to discuss such a project is this true or does it depend on the individual venue/water?

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

temperature is the key,or i am led to believe.Apapently if there is a suuden temp shift(as there has been of late)then a stressed fish will instinctively feed on anything,as the fish are not used to the natural food source , these fish will eat almost anything.

When I was a lot younger a local lake stocked 100 4-6 inch golden orfe. 2 days later my mate and I caught 47 of them in a day by following the shoal around the lake and casting casters fished 4 inches below the surface in front of them. One other point of interest (maybe) - two seasons later we started catch small carp that were bright orange!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

When I was stationed in Germany I went to a trout fishery for what I thought was going to be a nice days fly fishing.A nice break from the intense matchfishing circuit that I had got into at the time.The bloke I went with had never fly fished so took a light weight lure outfit with him,the fishery was "any method".When we got there we was told to choose a platform to fish from.A bloke then came around took our money and emptied a barrow full of rainbows into the swim in front of each angler!Much too my amazement anglers either side of me who allready had float fished minnows cast out had instant takes!!Needless to say I didnt bother going back

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have always worked on the top limit tempreture of 8 degrees c for coarse fish (and most fish - bar trout) . . one you get to the end of March - mid April . . the transport becomes an issue to till around back end of October . . plus at this point I am told the resistance to infection is at it's lowest . .

Think the EA have a guide line on this . I certainly wouldn't stock anything later than this .. Monday was just about by the skin of our teeth . . saying that though . . had to scrape the ice of my windscreen on Friday morning . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

a few years back I was fortunate enough to be at a trout fishery which emptied its net of 800 4lb fish into the lake due to new stocks arriving ,A good day was had by all .my brothers and I who regularly fished the lake had a competition to see which fly we couldnt catch on we didnt find one .ps it was March and the weather was cold...rob

when you think you know everything think again....

Budgie,i had similar experience a good few years ago.Used to trout fish at Barn Elms Reservoir,in Hammersmith.Turned up and started fishing,shortly afterwards a stack of fish were introduced and BINGO,everyone was catching,Fly,worm,spinning it made no odds.If i recall,i went slightly over my limit .

Chuby