A new predator for the UK?

Zinky

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest, black bass were once stocked into a pit at Wittering, nr, Stamford, Lincs. They died out.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

If we want to introduce more predators, why not RE-introduce species that are native to this country but have died out, rather than assembling a menagerie of exotics?

I'm thinking of the burbot.

This is a medium to large species, "virtually a freshwater Ling" as my Collins pocket fish guide describes it, which was "once abundant" in the Eastern part of Britain and is still widespread throughout northern Europe. They are also in N. America apparently. It grows to well over 20lb and 2 metres long and eats fish and inveterbrates, usually nocturnal. I remember seeing a stuffed one, it looked like a crazy kind of catfish. They are now "presumed extinct" here, so why don't we re-introduce them?

miasma:

Would it be possible for someone to post a

picture...I have no idea what they look like!

miasma...

Support CA March...its a real SCAM

Try here:

http://www.muskyhunter.com/photos.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I`m sure Muskie are a great fighting fish and a wonderful predator but for heavens sake not in our waters.

I couldn`t stand the thought of a new line of fishing tackle and the constant advertisements driving me to distraction!

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Roper:

If nature intended them to be in the UK, they would already be here!

So do you also disagree with having Rainbow trout and carp in the UK, along with I'm sure many other fish that have been introduced here from abroad ?

Dave

[ 01. September 2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Croix ]

I'm confident that if you posted this topic on a match fishing board, you would get some very interesting replies indeed.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter Sharpe:

I'm confident that if you posted this topic on a match fishing board, you would get some very interesting replies indeed.

I'm sure it would produce quite a reaction :) , unfortunately mostly from uninformed match anglers who have little understanding of balanced fisheries. In my experience of talking to matchmen they tend to hate pike, zander, otters, and anything else that 'dares' to naturally feed on fish, whether they are indigenous species or not.

I know not all matchmen are blinkered in this way but too many are.