Lure fishing

tony jolley

I`m new to lure fishing, Fishing mostly for eels,

Is it worth going out useing lures at this time of year for the pike, If so can you recommend a couple to try,

I dont have a multiplyer yet, only fixed spool reels.

I will be fishing my local Leeds and Liverpool canal,

Tony B.T Jolley

A couple of mag twin tail grubz, a couple of big ABU Terminators, a couple of chrome Big S plugs, A Heddon Meadow Mouse and some 4 inch brass spoons and go out and catch! Let us know how you get on. Winter lure fishing is greatly underated. Watercraft, common sense and a plug that you can trip along the bottom guarantee success.

Tony - I suspect the vast majority of lure anglers use spinning reels rather than bait casters for lure work.

They both have times & places where one will work better than the other but overall, I'd have to say a spinning rod/reel is the way to go if you are only going to have one or two.

And from a practical standpoint, unless you are going to do it regularly, much easier to use the spinning gear since it is lots more forgiving.

You will see the pros on television using mostly bait casting gear. OTOH, they certainly do it regularly and for them, there is a huge advantage in being able to ready & cast out again more quickly after bringing the lure in. Likewise, much easier to keep the cast low to the water with bait caster. But neither of these is much of an advantage when shore fishing with lures for fun.

Faster recasting is obvious. More lure-n-water time.

Lower arc on the lure is mostly better when fishing toward cover on shore and to minimize the fuss when the lure hits the water. Usually from shore you are casting well past where you expect the fish and a bit of a splash is either harmless or even helpful to let fish at a distance know that something has hit the water and maybe they should investigate.

Now if you do mostly boat angling and expect to do more than occasional lure angling, by all means give a try at multipliers.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Tony,

If you're starting-out lure-fishing, then fixed-spool reels are probably best.

This time of year you probably need to get right down to where the pike are a weedless spoon (to stop you snagging) and a spinnerbait like a Northland Reedrunner are favourites.

I think you'd be wasting your time with a Meadow Mouse (a surface lure) atr this time of year unless you're fishing very shallow water.

If you're not using braid already, I'd give it a go in favour of a mono. I'd suggest 30 lb braid and wire for starters and you can drop down in BS once you get to know your swims, snags etc.

Of course you still need a set of wrire cutters, long nosed pliers, forceps, landing net (wide mesh) unhooking mat or weight the fish in the net.

Leon Roskilly:

Some tips for newcomers to lure fishing that you won't usually find in the books :)

TL - leon

Following on from Leon's link, I'd like to add another that I've found very useful for lure fishing hints, and tackle tips. There's a link to Elton's main pages on their site which is

http://members.lycos.co.uk/lureangler/

ATB

Geezer

Oi, Geezer mate! The Heddon Meadow Mouse is not a surface lure! Or atleast neither Heddon nor I think it is. It might be called that in the Harris catalogue but it is, in reality, a shallow diving lure, and a very fine one at that. It dives to about 2 to 3 feet, as Harris describe it, and in two to three feet of water, such as in canals & broads, like where pike hold up, it is a very useful bit of kit indeed! The Zara Mouse is the out and out surface version, and even that can be useful in the winter as a lob hard into the reeds/margins job.

[ 25. November 2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]