Hello from new member in Suffolk

Badger100

Hi Badger100,

I live even nearer you than I first thought...hehehe...you must pass my house if you head to Colchester.

I have only fished Kettle lake twice and did not like it much, almost featureless - best two swims opposite the island by the tree's with your back to the field - boring Carp and a few Roach between two of us fishing it was a constant drag a 6lb to 10lb Carp a cast until I was totally fed up and switched to Roach and even then no challenge. You can pick up a little fun floating bread in the top corner with your back to the field and the farmhouse roughly to your right, if Carp ring your bell.

The Brett can get more interesting towards Layham and the back of Shelley, some interesting Chub down there.

In Hadleigh itself drive down the high road turn right to Topplesfield over the bridge then turn very sharp right onto a parking area, walk the few yards to the river then turn upstream walk about 300 to 400 yds you may have a little luck around there looks a little Pikey to me or perhaps by Topplesfield bridge itself. I have however never seen a Pike in there nor have I seen one caught.

On the Suffolk Stour in SUDBURY as John Weddup has already said there are a few spots with nice Pike in only guessing but 30lb+ is certainly a strong possibility. But as I already said I am not really a Pike Fisher these days.

Look out for John Weddup's threads he get around a fair bit and certainly knows the Suffolk Stour (in the wilder parts) better than most.

Thanks to Watatoad, for your input, I have yet to try the lower stretches of the Brett. John, thank you again. I will try one of the Sudbury stretches before the end of the season. If you had to pick one spot for a twenty plus pike this end of the season, which one place would it be ?.

Badger100

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see another chelmer angler on the forum!

Would be intereted to hear how you got on piking on the chelmer, I've only really fished it for chub, although there used to be a pike in rickets weirpool that had a liking for taking swimfeeders on the retrieve ;)

Mat

Mat

Thanks to Watatoad, for your input, I have yet to try the lower stretches of the Brett. John, thank you again. I will try one of the Sudbury stretches before the end of the season. If you had to pick one spot for a twenty plus pike this end of the season, which one place would it be ?.

Badger100

1: The mill pool side of the bridge at Brundon Mill Sudbury on the Suffolk Stour.

2: From Ballingdon Hill Bridge head upstream side the natural pool just below the first footbridge about 400 yds upstream of Ballingdon Bridge.

3: From Ballingdon Hill Bridge head upstream side the stretch just above the first footbridge about 400 yds upstream of Ballingdon Bridge, there is a small woody corpse with an old wartime bunker in it just upstream of the bunker.

4: The floodgates pool Suffolk Stour Sudbury.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hi badger100

the kettles lake watatoad spoke of is not kettlebaston (rushbrook lake). Kettles is a very small commercial full of small carp.

Kettlebaston is a well matured quite large farm reservoir. From kettlebaston village there is a road leading towards preston st mary but it is a no through road. At the end is the reservoir it is run by sudbury melford club.

The river sections for bigger pike are Rodbridge, between long melford and sudbury, between the road and old railway bridge. The priory behind quay theatre sudbury, Pecks meadow sudbury the island and friars meadow all town stretches wide and deep. Anywhere below cornard lock to henny a couple of miles of open countryside all sudbury melford club water.

regards

john

Many thanks for correcting me John as I was taken there and it was only referred to as Kettle lake I made a mistake.

John is spot on on the Quay theatre and Rodbridge for pike, I have seen several taken from both areas. But I have never seem anyone catch from Pecks Meadow, Friars Meadow nor the Island.

Nice to see another chelmer angler on the forum!

Would be intereted to hear how you got on piking on the chelmer, I've only really fished it for chub, although there used to be a pike in rickets weirpool that had a liking for taking swimfeeders on the retrieve ;)

Mat

Hi matt, I have fished the Chelmer for many years, I had a narrowboat based at Hoe Mill for ten years. There are plenty of pike to be had in all of the river. The average has been going up of late. I have seen a few 20's in the lat 3 years or so. Cant wait to give the Stour a go now.

Badger

1: The mill pool side of the bridge at Brundon Mill Sudbury on the Suffolk Stour.

2: From Ballingdon Hill Bridge head upstream side the natural pool just below the first footbridge about 400 yds upstream of Ballingdon Bridge.

3: From Ballingdon Hill Bridge head upstream side the stretch just above the first footbridge about 400 yds upstream of Ballingdon Bridge, there is a small woody corpse with an old wartime bunker in it just upstream of the bunker.

4: The floodgates pool Suffolk Stour Sudbury.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Ballingdon bridge is the one they just rebuilt, on the way out of town to Halstead ?

Badger100

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Ballingdon bridge is the one they just rebuilt, on the way out of town to Halstead ?

Badger100

Yes that's the one you can turn off right just before the old railway bridge (heading towards Halstead) There is a parking area take your gear follow the track past the old pump house through the gate and there you are. Day tickets available from:

Sudbury Angling Centre, 40 North St, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 1RD Tel: 01787 312118

Have a look at it on google maps you will spot it easily on the satellite view.

Hi badger 100

any of those river sections I mentioned this morning.

They are all pike hotspots.

regards

John

Hello John, you mention the fens being within 40 miles, where would you suggest trying for a zander. I hadn't realised I was that close, this is one fish i would love to catch. By the way found the Rushbrooke farm resevoir today, looks interesting and only 5 minutes away. Do the pike go to any size though ?.

Badger100