Toady's Bait Problem

watatoad

I am hyper allergic to Bananas, and a few friends have helped me out on some of my crazy bait ideas in the past but current non fishing pressure is preventing them from checking out an idea I have for large winter Roach and Chub during bad / cold winters.

If anyone on here has a Banana and a bit of bread perhaps even a couple of slices each of both wholemeal and plain white and enough butter to butter just one of each type of bread. Plus you would not mind giving me a hand testing out this bait. So if you feel you can spare me a few slices of bread some butter and a banana plus some of your fishing time I would really appreciate your help.

I want to see if Larger Roach and or larger Chub can be persuaded to take the following baits and I would love to know if my idea is totally a waste of time or if my theory is correct.

Basis - Bananas are smelly and fruity, soft and mold-able (or in this case a paste potential).

1: 1 x slice white buttered bread - remove the crusts mash the crust free slice up with 1/4 (0.25) (a quarter of a banana) to make a suitable hook bait paste.

2: 1 x slice white non buttered plain bread - remove the crusts mash the crust free slice up with 1/4 (0.25) (a quarter of a banana) to make a suitable hook bait paste.

3: 1 x slice wholemeal buttered bread - remove the crusts mash the crust free slice up with 1/4 (0.25) (a quarter of a banana) to make a suitable hook bait paste.

4: 1 x slice wholemeal non buttered plain bread - remove the crusts mash the crust free slice up with 1/4 (0.25) (a quarter of a banana) to make a suitable hook bait paste.

All the four above once mashed should give a usable paste suitable for hook bait.

Basis for the idea the larger fish of both species are often caught on bread, - they both can be caught on fruit, - they both can be caught with bread paste, - they both prefer smelly bait.

I could do it I would leave between 12" and 18" (30cms and 46cms) between hook and first weight. I would expect large Roach and Chub to come on to feed between 2:30pm and 4:30pm (14:30 and 16:30) at this time of the year depending on where in the country you are.

I am not writing a book but I will put it and list credit to whoever tests it on the new website I am making.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I think you're bananas mate.

I think roach will eat pretty much anything you introduce them to and give them time to adjust to.

I've had them eating tinned runner beans, carrot, frozen peas and all manner of crap.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I think you're bananas mate.

I think roach will eat pretty much anything you introduce them to and give them time to adjust to.

I've had them eating tinned runner beans, carrot, frozen peas and all manner of crap.

I would not dispute that I may be totally bananas, perhaps crazy and possibly insane - But how many of the Roach you caught were over two pounds or perhaps over three pounds? because that is the size of Roach I am talking about.

Most small or average sized fish will munch away on just about anything but the bigger / older the fish in my experience the more selective. Big Roach and big Chub have always been pretty selective when it comes to bait and bait presentation.

But I have no problem with you not fancying trying out my idea.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

How many were 2lbs+ ?? Probably quite a lot of them. Until 2008, my local ressie was arguably the best large roach water in Scotland.

I'm not talking about speed fishing for blades.

Whether you're bananas or not isn't in question here. We all know your whackier than a whacking stick. What I do find interesting is that you of all people have to ask IF roach will eat bread and bananas.

I have NO DOUBT whatsoever that big roach will eat bread/banana paste.

I think they might not take not take to it immediately but given it to eat every day or 3 for a couple of weeks and they'll eat it alright.

Of that I'm certain.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If we're talking about 2lb+ (and even 3lb+) roach, I'm no help. No banana paste in the world will be able to magic them out of nowhere!

I'm sure chub would eat it, but then finding a suitable bait for chub has never been much of a problem.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I would not dispute that I may be totally bananas, perhaps crazy and possibly insane - But how many of the Roach you caught were over two pounds or perhaps over three pounds? because that is the size of Roach I am talking about.

Most small or average sized fish will munch away on just about anything but the bigger / older the fish in my experience the more selective. Big Roach and big Chub have always been pretty selective when it comes to bait and bait presentation.

But I have no problem with you not fancying trying out my idea.

I now fancy trying mashed banana with some groundbait as a paste for carp , makes sense to try something different and like u say it has a strong unique smell . :thumbs:

Years ago before boilies could be bought. I concocted a paste mix based on puréed bananas and banana milk shake. The glorious 16th dawned and 3 of us started to catch not the intended carp but tench. So much so we ended up scaling down the tackle to match the size of fish. Only one carp did we catch that year amongst what must have been over a hundred tench.

Trying to mash fresh bread will result in a hard lump. Why not try the old semolina/ soya flour way. Mash 1,2 or 3 bananas with an egg keep adding the semolina.soya till a paste is formed. Make the paste slightly softer than you would need as it will toughen up as the mix dries out. It can be frozen if to much is made.

I now fancy trying mashed banana with some groundbait as a paste for carp , makes sense to try something different and like u say it has a strong unique smell . :thumbs:

My partner tried banana mixed in with her groundbait a few years ago for Siamese Carp at Gillhams Fishing resort in Thailand and had some great catch's with it. Since then I often take any tired looking banana's from the fruit bowl to take fishing with me and our own Carp back in UK do seem rather partial to it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

My partner tried banana mixed in with her groundbait a few years ago for Siamese Carp at Gillhams Fishing resort in Thailand and had some great catch's with it. Since then I often take any tired looking banana's from the fruit bowl to take fishing with me and our own Carp back in UK do seem rather partial to it.

Thats reasuring to know ,also the older the banana the more smell and flavourfull they are

I'm with Andy and Andrew on this, location is everything in angling. If they aren't there, you ain't gonna catch 'em. There are no baits that will just appeal to 2 and 3lb roach or 7 and 8lb chub.

If it was just the bait, then I think I would have broke the 2lb barrier years ago. I've only found one time and water where 2lb roach were relatively common place, (although many 2lbers strangely shrunk when the scales were produced). I fished a number of baits and methods, some 'normal' and some 'whacky', I got enough fish up to 1lb 12oz, but others caught the 2lbers, and mainly on maggot, caster, or bread.

Like Andy, I have used many things as bait over the years, and caught on most, (including banana) but it was just to see if I could. I came to the conclusion that most fish will eat just about anything. In a 'natural' water, in times of less plentiful food, they have to be opportunistic in their feeding. If it looks/smells/tastes edible, then they will have it. In times of plenty, they can be more selective.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John