how to fish for pike

***Simon***

Read up as much as you can on the subject especially about fish safety as it is a sad fact that many pike die due to the inexperienced anglers poor practice and I am sure you wouldn’t want to be party to this. Pike are one of the most difficult fish to handle and yet one of our most sensitive. I wouldn’t start using static deadbaits as the chance of deep hooking a pike is very real with this method. I would start with lure fishing and make sure you take good wire traces, long nose pliers, wire cutters and a big unhooking mat. also make sure you know how to use the items and it may be best if you take someone who has some experience. canals are good for pike but is have seen too many dead pike floating in them due to careless anglers and I hate to see this. sorry if I seem to be labouring the point about safety but it will make sense, talk to you local tackle dealer who I am sure will give you good advice on the subject.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Best to go with someone who has a bit of experience?,it takes a bit of time to get used to handling and unhooking a pike.However if you do go remember to use the correct gear,rods strong enough for the job,12 pound line and a wire trace.(you can buy these already made up in tackle shops)Also get a decent pair of long forceps or at the very least a pair of long nose pliars in order to remove the hooks and maybe a pair of gardening gloves as you may not be keen on handling pike with bare hands?.For more info go the PAC(pike anglers club of gb)website,i think its www.pac.co.uk .they have a stack of decent info and tips on there. :cool:

Wanna buy some pegs dave..

simon,

it is vital that you go with someone who has experience with pike. as mentioned above, go to the pacb website and find the details of your local branch.

give them a ring and im sure someone will be willing to acompany you and guide you on fish handling and returning pike unharmed, aswell as helping you with tactics, rigs etc.

defo fish safty comes first! pike even tho they look mean ar actualy very delicat and need gentle handling and more importantly safe rigs and bite detection!

forget the old thing of letting the fish run and turn the bait befor the strike! i think the old saying was to let i go long enuff for u to smok a woodbine !

hit the fish on the first movment! also to aid hooking and unhooking crush the barbs on the trebles! they have very boney mouths and this will help u get a hold on the fish!

but like others have said go with an experienced piker at first this is paramount! also might save u a lot of pain and maybe a lost gram or 2 ov skin!

no bruv dont change the smoke! lol its good for ya!

p,s first post so please ta meet ya mate ;-]

You will find some good articles on pike within Anglers' Net.

Leon has written a few:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/introleon.htm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE