Plastic Worms - Anyone caught on them?

Dales

How do you fish them Newt - with lure/jigging/dropshotting gear, or as a static bait fished over a bed of feed?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with lure/jigging/dropshotting gear - I'm differentiating here between the sort of smallish worm we are talking about and normal (larger) soft plastic lures which I do fish using one of those techniques.

I usually fish them under a float anderoo. I almost never fish over a bed of feed except on the rare occasions when I am after carp or buffalo and these days, there are no buffs within 500 miles and usually no carp in the local lakes although there are some in my local river. The river almost never drops below about 4mph current and my baiting skills are not adequate.

The idea of fishing a plastic worm on the bottom over a bed of bait never even occurred to me until I responded to this topic. It simply isn't a tactic I use on a regular basis - mostly because I fish from the bank so rarely.

I do suggest that rigging them wacky fashion would be well worth a try as would hair rigging them. This page shows wacky rigging methods and several would easily adapt to small hooks and small worms.

http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/wack...rm-fishing.html

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't see them working. If they do work is it because they are a fantastic new innovation or that many commercial fishery carp will take anything put in front of their nose, including pieces of foam...I doubt that a wily river chub, trout or perch would even consider taking one.

I have used the fake maggots, i think they are great to pop up a bait and to stop a worm coming off the hook. I have also used the fake corn but don't think much of it though.

Whereas the smaller fake baits have realistic purposes i can't see how a piece of plastic shaped like a worm, soaked in artificial worm flavouring would out fish a real worm, and i can't see why there is any need to use a fake, the whole wriggling, burying, panicky movement i think is half the attraction of a worm, otherwise people would fish with dead worms like they sometimes do dead maggots.

I just don't see it, and i won't be using them, but i might be proven wrong....

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I doubt that anyone would recommend a plastic worm when conditions suited the use of live ones and you had some live ones available. I know that I would not.

However, there are conditions and situations where a worm is a good choice but a live one, or even smallish pieces of a live one, would not make sense. Then a soft plastic worm might be an excellent choice.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't see them working. If they do work is it because they are a fantastic new innovation or that many commercial fishery carp will take anything put in front of their nose, including pieces of foam...I doubt that a wily river chub, trout or perch would even consider taking one.

I have used the fake maggots, i think they are great to pop up a bait and to stop a worm coming off the hook. I have also used the fake corn but don't think much of it though.

Whereas the smaller fake baits have realistic purposes i can't see how a piece of plastic shaped like a worm, soaked in artificial worm flavouring would out fish a real worm, and i can't see why there is any need to use a fake, the whole wriggling, burying, panicky movement i think is half the attraction of a worm, otherwise people would fish with dead worms like they sometimes do dead maggots.

I just don't see it, and i won't be using them, but i might be proven wrong....

I can't see why is a poor way to begin an argument. It's called 'arguing from personal incredulity" just because you can't understand how something doesn't work, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I don't want an argument, i'm just giving my opinion that i don't think they would work on British waters, that's all.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I don't want an argument

davedave: Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.

Cory: Certainly sir. Have you been here before?

davedave: No, this is my first time.

Cory: I see. Well, do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

davedave: Well, what would be the cost?

Cory: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

davedave: Well, I think it's probably best if I start with the one and then see how it goes from there, okay?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I don't want an argument, i'm just giving my opinion that i don't think they would work on British waters, that's all.
By argument I mean a discussion in which disagreement is expressed, not a quarrel or dispute.

When you say "I can't see why" it implies to me that you have not one shred of evidence to support your claim. Whilst you have a right to hold an opinion, this does not make your opinion valid if you have no data to support it. All opinions are not created equally.

For example there are still those who claim that the earth is flat, and those that dispute The Theory of Evolution. They are entitled to hold that opinion, but not entitled to have anyone treat their opinion with anything other than derision.

Just my two bits worth, others' mileage may vary.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

By argument I mean a discussion in which disagreement is expressed, not a quarrel or dispute.

That's great that. Can I quote that every time I get into a heated debate on a forum?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That's great that. Can I quote that every time I get into a heated debate on a forum?
Be my guest Andy.