Pikeperch.Matt Hayes& Zander

zappagod

Any Perch from around the world is related.

If it wasnt it would not be called a Perch.

Our Uk perch are releted to Nile perch.

Imagine hooking an 80lb Nile perch on a pole with 4 elastic 2lb (0.08mm) line and a size 20 hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RUDD:

Imagine hooking an 80lb Nile perch on a pole with 4 elastic 2lb (0.08mm) line and a size 20 hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

80lb Nile Perch = tiddler, baitfish. Proper Nile Perch 150lbs-200lbs. Nice understatement on Fishbase.

quote:

Several countries report adverse ecological impact after introduction.

I am surprised!

:D:D:D

Corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

RUDD:

Not quite so RUDD. Both the Nile Perch and the European Perch are in the same order of fish, Percifomes, or Perch-like fish. However Nile Perch (Lates niloticus) are members of the Centropomidae family of fish (snooks) click here for species list, whilst our European Perch (Perca fluviatilis) is a member of the Percidae family of fish (true perches) Click here for species list.

IMHO this means that they are not related at at all.

Three spot ciclids, of the family Cichlidae (Cichlasoma trimculatum) are Perciformes too, but they are not related to the European Perch either IMHO.

Maybe one of our icthyologist members can clarify the situation if I am mistaken?

If you want to see a species list for Cichlidae then click here. Beautiful fish ciclids, all Perciformes, but not many look like a perch.

PS Clicking on some of these links without a broadband connection will result in a lengthy download and an overheated modem :)

Corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

As said before I'm sure Matt was using the term "literally a cross between......" as a visual reference. And to quote what he says in the Angling Times page14......"the zander is known by some as the pike-perch because it looks like a hybrid between the two species. In reality,though,it is an entirely separate species and bears a close relationship to the American walleye"

Just a bit of bad wording stirring us all up I think. On the whole Matty gets it right and is one of my faves on the box.

Colin

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!