black bass in u.k waters?

captain cojones

The fish are fairly similar but distinctly different when seen together. Smallmouth has a somewhat smaller mouth (well Duh), is usually a nice bronze color, and the lateral line isn't as much of an unbroken line.

Note that both the below are taken from a site based in Nightwing's home state of Michigan. No striped bass there though.

Posted Image

http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/fishing/...sm/bass-sm.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted Image

http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/fishing/...lg/bass-lg.html

And a nice page on the [urlStriped Bass[/url]. The sea run ones might do well over there although they do need a section of river with current and brackish water to spawn.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good pictures newt, thanks.hi budgie, the smaller ones ive caught here look more like small mouth, but the bigger ones look more like the bigmouth bass in newts photos!?!?! i think the local habitats have a big part in affecting their colouring. most of the fishing mags here dont differenciate, theyre black bass and thats it!best wishes. :)

The easy way to tell them apart is by eye placement. If the jaw extends back past the eye, it's a largemouth.

The mouth on them really is quite a bit larger too. I'm a pretty good sized fella and with a largemouth of over around 5 lbs, I can ball up my fist and fit the whole thing in the fish's mouth. A common knick name for them is 'bucketmouth' bass.

[ 19. May 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thanks newt, now you mention it, it is easy to identify them with eye placement. ive been going through one of last months fishing mags, and from what i can see they appear to be smallmouth. next time i can get off to fish for them ill have a good look.best wishes. :)

Captain cojones, if you have a scanner, scan a few photos and send them to either Newt or myself.

I am sure we could tell quickly which species the bass in question are.

Ah...wait!.. This articl has a picture of spains record bass...

It is undoubtably a largemouth.

<small>[ 20. May 2004, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]</small>

Yup. Good idea from those pics why the largemouth is also know as a green bass in some areas. :D

Nightwing - warm enough up your way for the fly fishing yet this year?

Newt:

Yup.  Good idea from those pics why the largemouth is also know as a green bass in some areas.   :D  

Nightwing - warm enough up your way for the fly fishing yet this year?

Plenty warm, but every stream and most lakes are out of their banks due to torrential rains.

We have had over 14" here in just the last week and a half.

The big lake is still cold, but I may give one of the piers a go if the weather lays down for a day(waves on the lake have been running 4-7 feet due to periodic storms.) Won't be with the fly rod yet..but the lake run brown's are still inshore(a 33 lb brown trout was taken at Grand Haven about 2 weeks ago....that will get the blood pumping!)

Oh well...turkey season is still going, so that is keeping my occupied for the time being. :D